Is GX1 worth upgrading ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As usual , when a new MFT body is released we all get over excited and wait to see it in real action and then compare the results with previous MFT cameras etc etc.. I know its a new system and only three years old and both Oly and Panny are trying to strike the right balance and please different type of camera enthusiasts . Now I was also quite excited about GX1 but I expected Panasonic to add few additional things in this camera which includes Flip or tilt LCD , inbuilt EVF . My thoughts are If u are new to MFT system and wanna start from zero and can afford hefty price tag then no problems ..this is the camera for u and specially if u don't like DSLR shape. But for rest of the people who were expecting a bit more .Honestly I am a bit disappointed . I dont know how many of us agree or disagree with me .. Its not criticism of Panasonic , just an honest confession ..
  2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hasn't this been fairly flogged as a topic since the GX1 came out?

Is it worth upgrading from what? You haven't actually asked a question...
  3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    +1 for vagueness

Just go to a camera store and hold one. Bring your current m4/3 camera. Compare them hand by hand. Take some samples on your own SD card. Bring them home. Compare images.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The GX-1 is what many call the proper upgrade to the GF-1. At the very least it's an upgrade to the GF-2. Both those models are kind of old by now and long in tooth. It could be time to upgrade for owners of either camera. ;)
  5. Bhupinder2002

I didn't mean that its a camera only for Panasonic lovers .I meant to include Olympus users as well. I have EPL2 and had brief interaction with EPL3 and I didn't like it. I was thinking of picking up GF3 but its quite small and there are not so many external controls. I was expecting that panasonic will release something like EPL3 . I agree that its may be time for GF2 owners to upgrade but it still doesn't look worth the price tag. I agree and will hold it hands when it gets here in Australia and see. We are quite late in terms of getting these toys here.
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    With the exception of the tilt screen, the GX1 seems better in every way than the EPL3...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Yes Nick I agree . It looks more solid and I like the grip. I might actually pick it from ebay probably . Teds have no idea when are they gonna get it and it will be over priced as usual.
  8. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    I think it's worth buying. This is one of the reason why I buy EP3. I think EP3 and GX1 is the "safe level" m43 camera body or maybe bang for the buck body. Fast AF, good design, good controls.

All other types below EP3 or GX1 have standard style design, standard AF, don't have hot shoe etc.

After having this "safe level" body, I think we can live for 1 until 2 year and wait for m43 PRO body which is rumoured by a few digital news :).
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well if price of the model is your concern, then consider that it's about $100 cheaper than the E-P3, which is your "proper" upgrade from the E-PL2, and is the GX-1's equivalent in Olympus. So if you want to continue upgrading down the same body path as your E-PL2, then you have two choices, the E-P3 or the GX1. Personally, I think they're pretty well head-to-head for me. I would go for the E-P3 for familiarity... which to you as an E-PL2 user might be relevant as well. It also has IBIS (reliable IBIS from the old generation!) and the Super Control Panel (though Panasonic has a similar panel as well). For video though, the E-P3 has the GX-1 beat hands down. They're both 1080 Full HD with manual control and interchangeable lenses, but the E-P3 has an option of 3.5mm external stereo mic. A video camera with no mic jack is like a photo camera with no hotshoe (ie, like the GF-3 or NEX, lol). The new Olympus AWB is awesome, and the AA filter is still just as weak and sharp. Unfortunately, I don't have a GX-1 to handle and test, so I don't know much of its strengths besides the 16MP sensor. In my humble opinion, the weak AA filter of Olympus (better lens resolution) vs. 16 MP sensor of the Panasonic (better file resolution) keeps them both head-to-head. $100 is cheaper for the body, but not if you have to pick up any accessories like the new EVF that can't be used on any other body. The VF-2 or VF-3 will still work on the E-P3 if you already have one, and if you don't then it'll be cross compatible with your E-PL2 so one purchase will be good for two cameras (or a slough of other Oly models which all use the same accessories). Same goes for other accessories like the EMA-1 mic jack, which works on every PEN.

However, the further answer to your question of "worth" in upgrading, is whether or not you need to upgrade from your E-PL2. In my opinion - no! The E-PL2 was a stop-gap from the previous generation and the newest generation. The E-PL2 is like an E-P3 in the rough, which just needed a bit more tweaking and polishing to reach its final form.

If you don't think you need to upgrade to an E-P3, then you don't need to upgrade to a GX-1 either. Comparing my E-PL2 and E-PM1, the only thing I would really upgrade the E-PL2 to the E-P3 for would be the superior AWB. That's the main thing that stands out as notably different from the two generations to me. I could never shoot indoors before with AWB, but had to resort to the tedious task of setting a Reference WB or trying the Incandescent preset. Now I can just shoot and go in any situation with the new PENs.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Ned
    U r a gem my friend. U are probably the most patient (Lets hope u don't be a patient in hospital :smile:) guy around here .
    Thanks a ton again . I love and adore my EPL2 and there is something different about this PEN actually ,may be its look feel and results .
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you want an EVF and tilt/swivel screen, buy the G3.

The G3/GX1 sensor is a significant improvement over any of the 12MP sensors, it's just a matter of which body style you like.

That said, I am intentionally holding off trying a GX1 because I fear it will strike the same emotional response in me the GF1 did and I will be replacing a (perfectly good) G3 ... :)
  12. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    With all due respect mate. I think the GF1 - even though she's long in the tooth - has good design, good controls, an operable hot-shoe and I still like that "standard style design".. That leaves the AF....Hmmm, never timed them side by side, but the GF1's AF doesn't seem miles behind the EP3 I recently sold. Well I certainly don't find myself swearing at the body's hesitancy to lock. Seems plenty confident for my purposes.

Having said that would I upgrade my GF1 to the GX1? Well the jury is still out and needs more evidence. I'm not sold on the extra megapixels or the touch-screen....otherwise I'd have a G3 or GH2. So more samples are required and the ultimate IQ - beyond high ISO - will be the clincher for me....oh and the EVF could tip the scales in the GX1's favour :blush: But of it is an incremental (yet substantial) improvement on the GF1 that doesn't 'throw the baby out with the bath-water'. then Panasonic just might get my dollars.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The GX1 is nice, but I still prefer Olympus metering, color output and ooc jpegs. In fact I'd rather wait and see what Olympus releases for their 4th generation Pens. If they get the 16mp sensor , keep the high fps while maintaining stable IBIS and make a body with built-in EVF, then we'll have a winner!
  14. nicholasswan

nicholasswan Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    I fell in love with the GF1 after seeing a picture of a man holding it up to his eye with the evf attached and the 20mm lens. I though "now what in the hell is that." all I had owned prior was many film cameras and a XTI. For some reason something about it tickled me on bad.. Bad places and I was stuck. I researched and was the first time I heard about MFT. I was intending buy it when I found out that it only has 720 video and was out of production. I found the NEX systems and realized it was a good choice for a new baby. Now a year has passed and I planned to get the NEX 7 until and man pointed me to rumor sites talking about the gx1. After seeing it I was hooked. The NEX-7 flew out the window till next year and this gx1 will be here as soon as possible. People have told me its a downgrade from my NEX-5 but honestly it's about the love I felt for the gf1 with evf. I honestly can't wait. It's a connection that gf and I shared in the past and her mother daughter is my new live. It's like Wendy and Peter...... Or something
  15. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    In true mu43 fashion Jonathan, I expect you're only going to end up feeling mildly pleased and a little let down. Nothing I have seen to date suggests that Olympus will buck the trend and do anything other than an incremental improvement. Especially more so given it is in effect a sensor hostage.

You'll probably get lumped with the same 12mp sensor....only the improved version mkIII !!! Unless that changes, the 'but i love the jpegs' argument will eventually become redundant. I'm not an expert on the business competition dynamic, but what would be in it for Panasonic to give its rival access to it's newest sensors ?

Built in EVF ? love that, but are we being too hopeful ;)

If you are adamant on waiting for something significantly evolutionary from Olympus with everything thats going on business wise and sensor access issues I suspect a Fuji would have to come to the Olympus party first. That would be a great thing mind you.

For mine, I love the form of the GX1 and some of the more subtle improvements will only add to the user experience....the ISO improvements are significant though, significant enough for me to strongly consider it.....the GX1 and PL25 ....hell yeah, being able to shoot with more flexibility and freedom in low light at up too 1600, even 3200 would be awesome.

Speaking of evolutions/improvements.....I can only wonder what witchcraft the GH3 has in store.....I swear I'll take a second job concreting on weekends if it's a rangefinder-esque body ;)

16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    if you love the GF1 like i do, GX1 is the true upgrade of the GF1. that's enough reason for me to upgrade.
  17. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    +1. If only because it saves my budget for a few more months. Plus in my case I was expecting the GH2 sensor rather than the G3 sensor. I mean, it's better, but not better enough to warrant an upgrade in my case.
  18. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    What I mean with "All other types below EP3 or GX1" are like EP2 and GF3 :biggrin:. They lack flash, hotshoe. I just wanted to say that I think EP3 and GX1 are m43 standard. It's like these models are a stepping stone for a new different models. It's only my hunch :smile:

When GF3 is released, many people were complaining about it. I personally like GF1 / GF2 models. Then at last GX1 was released using the exactly same design like GF1 (different flash, different grip but mainly they are the same.)

EP3 has good design like GX1. It's also complete. I think EP3 = GX1 in many ways. They are at the same level. That's why I say they are the "safe level" camera bodies. I'm sorry if my term it's weird. I've thought about different term but I don't find anything that suites :redface:
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Then what about the E-PL1 and E-PL2, Zerotiu? ;)
  20. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    They have complete set up, comparable with GF1 and GF2 , I think :rolleyes:
    I've used GF2 and EPL-2. The different are only in processor type and firmware. Hotshoe and flash can't be repaired using firmware upgrade...:biggrin: