1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is GH2 possess better value than G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nagual, Aug 26, 2012.

1. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Hi everybody. This is my first post. I've been following this forum for some time now. I've noticed friendly and knowledgeable atmosphere here.

Initially, I was aiming for E-M5 but due not so stellar movie performance I've decided to buy GH3 when it will be available, probably sometime in 2013. Meanwhile, I want to buy something similar to GH3 because of the upcoming trip to Europe in November and also to improve my photography skills.

I kind of settle on G5 and was waiting for price to go down a bit after Photokina but start wondering lately if GH2 is actually better value than G5.

Also, recently Amin in one of the threads shared the rumors that G5 has sensor with disabled multi-aspect from GH2, not to mention lack of many extra features that I found by researching. The price difference between them is only $80.

So, in spite of all these factors, I see many still buying G5.

2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm an Olympus shooter so take my comments with that in mind, but I watched a video just yesterday about the G5 and the reviewer said that if you are a GH2 user you shouldn't replace your GH2 with the G5. That tells me that the GH2 is more capable, especially from a video standpoint. The GH2 is the undisputed king of video so if video is a priority for you, the GH2 would be the obvious choice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    If size of the camera body is an important consideration, I believe the G5 is smaller.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Once we see adobe raw support i think you'll find the g5 tweaked sensor abit ahead of the gh2. There have beem a few years to try and upgrade the sensor while keeping the major architecture.

Then theres the built-in hdr processing and silent shutter (which is super handy). I would definitely go with g5 unless youre into serious video work.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  5. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    If you're planning to upgrade as soon as the GH3 comes out, maybe it makes sense to go back a generation to save cost. The G3 is $250 cheaper than the G5. That's most of the way to buying you the 20/1.7 to go with it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Thank you everyone for the input, quite helpful.

Yes those features are actually not that bad. Not too serious about video, just prefer to have well rounded camera for stills and video.

Is anyone from past experience can speculate that prices after Photokina will go down for the camera such a G5?

7. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    Photokina is just a mere few weeks away and this camera is brand new and just shipping now. There won't be any significant price movement, as long as the camera is well received and selling. There are rumors the GH3 will come in at a new higher price point, which should work to stabilize the price on the G5 at or near it's MSRP. If we see some downward price movement, I don't think we will see much before the holiday buying season.

You don't mention anything about your glass collection, what you have, or if you have any m4/3 glass currently. The body is the cheap part of this hobby..... it's the cost of good glass that will kill yeah.

8. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Ask yourself this. Would you choose the last generation's flagship or this generation's mid-range?

It's like the Nikon D800 vs D3x. Or Canon 1Ds III vs 5D III.

Personally I would always buy last year's Cadillac over this year's Chevy.

Better yet, wait out Photokina.

• Like Like x 2
  9. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    I'm buying G5 body and PL25 as the only lens at this moment ... probably cannot afford the second one at this point. I might regret it because my family memories for upcoming Europe trip will be my responsibility.

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    My G3 and PL25 turned out to be the best combination for family portraits during my recent vacation. I wasn't even going to pack along the G3 (came down to G3 vs. E-P3 and I opted for the larger sensor G3), but I'm glad I did.

So....the G5/PL25 should be a very satisfactory kit for you!

11. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Thanks crsnydertx, that choice is getting more solid for me recently