Is focus-by-wire part of the m43 specification?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chromewaves, Jul 28, 2010.

1. chromewaves

chromewaves Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2010
    what the subject says. Just curious if it's possible/likely that anyone will make more micro four-thirds lenses with conventional MF mechanisms that actually offer some tactile feedback or distance scale. I didn't really mind the focus-by-wire on the 14-42 and 20 until I got to playing with legacy MF lenses. those just felt better to use...

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    My best guess is that it is simply the tech carried over from olympus and panasonic's standard 4/3 mount lenses. Perhaps it is easier to design a smaller lens (which was supposed to be some of the appeal even to the regular 4/3 mount) with a motor that can couple and de-couple from the focus ring without having any set limit to the focus ring itself. Since the 4/3 standard itself was a new arena, they probably started from scratch, and came up with the focus by wire for some reason or another.

subsequent question - does sigma use the focus by wire in their 4/3 mount lenses?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.