1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is FL300R better than the one that comes with e-m5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sonsw87, Jun 6, 2012.

1. sonsw87

sonsw87 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2011
    I heard the rebate was extended till june so I was thinking about getting one of the flash but is it any better than the one that comes with the camera? Like in terms of power and everything.

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    yes it is, FL-300R GN28 vs. FL-LM2 GN10. The flash included should really be thought of as a pop up flash- because that's kind of essentially what it is. You know, except it doesn't pop up :wink: I went with the flash too, mainly because I don't have any old OM lenses (I was K-mount old school), and didn't have any 4/3 weather sealed lenses- it kind of left me with the flash for my "freebie."

Pros: The FL300R also tilts, has the wide diffuser, and is wireless if you want although I haven't tried it (the FL-LM2 can be a flash controller though- so it could complement nicely, and I haven't tried that either).

Cons: needs batteries (although 2 AAA, and pretty good battery life for being AAA, I get about 60+ shots), isn't weather sealed like the FL-M2. Oh... and it's kind of fugly :wink:

I'm not really a flash sort of guy- but they're handy to have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.