Is everyone abandoning the PL25?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ellsass, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I follow this forum through RSS and (much to my rage) all of the For Sale posts are included. It seems like every third one is the Panasonic Leica 25mm. Is everyone jumping ship to the Oly 25mm? I rarely see that one for sale so I assume people aren't just ditching the 25mm focal length.
  2. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I just bought's slowly becoming one of my favorite lenses. I got a great deal on a used one here too.
  3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Well, I'm not. The Olympus is smaller and cheaper so I can see the appeal but I prefer the PL25's rendering.
  4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Not a chance. The PL25 is a great lens.
  5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    They can have mine when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers...
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    It sure seems like it. I like both...but kept the PL25 over the Oly25, because I paid a hell of a lot more for it. Both are fine lenses, but the Oly has def brought down the used prices of the PL.
  7. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Keep in mind that there were no options for the PL25 for a long time, so a lot of people ponied up for it. Now there are at least five.. O25, O17, O12-40, V25, V17. It would not be surprising if someone preferred an alternative that matched their style.

The O25 is new, so it will be a while before it shows up used. Is it better than the PL25 or comparable? You decide :)
  8. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Mine is definitely NOT for sale, neither will I switch to the Oly 25. Why? Because it's a super lens and a nice way to have a Leica on your body. The Oly is nice too, it's smaller but it's only an Oly lens ;-(
    Just kidding, both are fine lenses, but IMO the lens build quality of the Leica is a little bit better. And now I'm thinking, it is nice to have a Leica on my E-P2. Looks good!
  9. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    I wonder why the new price of the PL25 has gone UP. :confused: It was $499 new in early 2013. Now it's $100 higher.
  10. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    I plan on making a purchase of one feel free to abandon away! :)
  11. MayaTlab

MayaTlab New to Mu-43

May 20, 2014
    I am too planning of getting one... only because after three copies Olympus still hasn't been able to provide me a properly centred 25mm (and has been a total PITA to deal with).

Let's hope Panasonic won't have such awful QC, otherwise I'm out of the system (I need a 50 or so).
  12. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

What makes you think that people abandon it for the Oly? To me it is more likely that people abandon it because the 12-35 or 12-40 suits them better or that they don't like the fov and prefer the 20 or 17. Or, it's just such a popular and well sold lens that by extension the number of second hand items is higher than other lenses.:smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Out of what I count to be 40 postings on the first page of the for sale forum, one is a PL25. So I think you are either seriously exaggerating, or are actually on a completely different forum.

• Like Like x 2
  14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Came in here just to say this. :D

The PL25 is my favorite M43 lens, by far. Keep in mind this might be the only focal length which offers 3(!) incredibly high-quality options for primes... F/0.95, F/1.4, F/1.8. Some people decide they want a smaller lens, some that they'd better go for broke with a Voigtlander. Many others will find that this lens just refuses to leave their camera ;)
  15. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    The PL25 is definitely my favorite lens. Having this lens though makes me want to get the O75for some reason..?

Anyway, awesome lens. Got on here actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  16. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    Hi Seb,

Glad that you enjoy the PL25. I regret selling it and have bought one back. Not selling again!
  17. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    As much as people are selling off the PL25 on the forum, there's just as many people buying those used copies, so it's pretty much a wash. I would only be worried only if we saw a ton of PL25's in the sale section without any buyers. My guess is that a quick search would show most of them as SOLD/COMPLETED.
  18. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    hell no!

love my little ninja.
  19. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    By far my favorite lens. If anything, using it more and more. The rendering goes way beyond charts and measurements.
  20. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I think the OP has his answer! :drinks: Here's to the mighty PL25!