1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is EP2 still a deal?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by elandel, Oct 12, 2011.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hello,

I was deciding to buy an Epl2 but found a deal where I live.
    EP2+14-42+VF2 used at 350 euro. Only minor signs of use on the body and still in warranty for a year.

This made me think a while. Now I'm asking to you Oly users: is this a good combo? Is there much difference between EP2 and EPL2 in REAL life use assuming that for me fast AF is not a must have?
    The IQ and high iso results - lets say up to 1600 max - between the two are on par or is there a high edge for the EPL2?

I really have to decide quickly because the rik is losing this and a used EPL2 body for 100 euro less.

I'm leaning towards the EP2 because of the VF2 and lens. So this may help me wait for the next generation PENS for maybe a new sensor.

So my gear would be: GF1 + 20mm and EP2 in I take this offer. With some legacy lens.:rolleyes:

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I would say go for it. There really is not practical difference in image quality.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Don't hesitate - buy it! :biggrin:

Seriously, great deal with the VF2 included! I think the E-P2 is an excellent camera, has a lot of soul. I do not think you will notice any difference in high-ISO between the E-P2 and E-PL2... the only knock I have read on the E-P2 is that with the slightly more aggressive AA filter, images could appear a bit softer. To be honest, I don't see any difference between the output on my P2 and E-P3, but I haven't pixel peeped.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I haven't tried the E-P2 but I know that I really preferred the control set-up on the E-P1 over the E-PL1. It just feels that much easier to use. I had both and ended up selling the E-PL1. I'd say go for it.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, get the E-PL2 for 100 euros, then buy the VF-2 or VF-3 separately with the 150 euros you save (plus a bit extra).

ISO 1600 from the E-P2 and E-PL2 are definitely not the same. The E-PL2 is significantly better at ISO1600+. At lower ISO the difference is not as great, but the E-PL2 will produce sharper images with better detail retention. The E-P2's AA filter is too strong and will smudge your details.

I'm not saying that 350 euros isn't a great deal for the E-P2 with the VF-2 included, but 100 euros for the E-PL2 body is a much better deal! Overall, you'll get a significantly better system with only a little bit of extra investment (if you still want the VF-2).

If you use legacy lenses, then the E-PL2 is a lot better for manual focus because of the Close-Up button. If you don't use legacy lenses, then the E-P2 is slightly better for control because of the dual dials. If you manually focus using any lenses (native, Four-Thirds, or legacy) on the back LCD screen, then the E-PL2 has a significant edge with twice the screen resolution. If you only use the VF-2 for manual focus, then that's mostly a moot point.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    The Epl2 body only is 250 euros.

7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Does a onboard flash matter to you? If so, choice is simple.

If it doesn't.. then EP2 is nicer built camera and better controls but you "may" scarifice a bit of IQ.

Personally, Id go with an EP2 used body and a pancake *either 14mm/17mm or the 20mm depending what kind of deal you can get one them vs. the VF2 package. Really depends if you'd use the VF2 all that much. I personally wouldn't so better to invest in a really piece of glass like the 20.

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I've already got the 20mm and yes EVF is essential for me. So that is the reason I'm going more and more vs. the EP2 deal.

Flash I may use sometimes but for that I can use the GF1.

9. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    I love my E-P2. At these low prices I'm thinking of getting a second and breeding them.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry, I missed the "less" part, lol. How much can you get a VF-2 for in your area, is the question? If it's not that much more than the 100 euro you save on the E-PL2, the E-PL2 is a better camera in nearly every way in both performance and design (though not build quality). Plus, you can look for a used VF-2 as well. That's how I got mine...

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Here VF2 is around 250 euros and finding it used is something that exceeds human ability.:smile:

I found my LVF1 used after 2:eek:months of researching and it was pure fortune and it has to arrive tomorrow. In all my research I also looked for a VF2 but never saw one used.:mad:

What I mean is that with 500 euros I have an used epl2+Vf2 and NO lens. With so much the same money (100 euro more) I'll have EP2+lens+VF2+14-150 (used but in mint condition) so this really leans me towards the EP2 even if I would prefer the EPL2.:frown: But maybe that one can come later when prices drop more.

12. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    The E-P2 is really a bargain at that price, do not let it go :cool:

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    :smile:

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well story ends in the EP2 side. I took the EP2 with 14-42 + VF2 for 330 euro and will get it Saturday.

I really don't know if it was the right decision but surely the least expensive. And really I don't believe there is SO much difference between the EP2 and the EPL2 besides the things we already know and I'm not a pixel-peeper so I don't see SO much difference in image quality.
    And one millisecond:biggrin: faster handling is not so important for me. For fast AF I have the GF1 so I think I'll keep this a while and wait for next generation Pens.
    I'm also getting a 14-150 for all-round lens.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Now I need help from a EP2 user who can give me tips to fine tune properly the camera and aid in manual focusing.

Thanks

16. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Congrats! What a great deal. I hope the new camera serves you well!

17. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    When I had an P2, I turned off all of the "INFO" button options. So to manual focus, I would only have to press "INFO" once rather than 4-5 times.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Is that possible? Really? So good. How can I do that? Dig in the menus?:2thumbs:

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very smart. ;)