Is EM1 III IBIS worse than EM1 II for closeup/macro?

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Take a look here for reference: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4533646
"After owning the em1.3 for about 2 months, I came to the conclusion that the IBIS in the em1.2 is a lot better for close macro shots with about 2 stops lower shutter speed advantage.

But the em1.3's IBIS performs better than the em1.2 when focused further away. With the em1.3 + 60mm macro lens I can get sharp handheld shots up to 4 seconds. The em1.2 can't go above 2 seconds."
Several people on dpreview are reporting that the EM1 II IBIS is actually more consistent during closeup and macro than EM1 III. Very odd considering the EM1 III supposedly has better IBIS than the EM1 II, as one would expect in a newer model.

Has anyone here tried comparing the two? Anyone noticed relatively poor IBIS performance at closeup/macro distances?

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Maybe his hands shake more because it is a bit heavier. He is talking about exposure of several seconds, this is dependent on the user as well as the IBIS.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This quote is at odds with what is being stated.
I think what that quote is trying to say is that at further distances the "3" had better IBIS as demonstrated by their being able to hand hold longer shots at normal (non macro) shooting even at the relatively telephoto distance of 60mm.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have neither camera. I do have an M5ii.
The ibis is not helpful for me when closeup.
However at the telephoto end it is very helpful indeed.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For close ups if I did not have IBIS I would have no chance of getting any of the spider shots I take with the EM10.2
So far I wont use the EM1.3 for close up because of the extra weight. I just cant hold it steady enough, especially with one hand if I have to pull bushes aside to get a shot.

I think the type of shots you take and your ability make the biggest difference, especially for me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom