Is EM-1 still a good buy?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by elandel, Sep 20, 2016.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all,
    its been a long time since I posted here but now I'm coming back.
    My question is simple; is the EM1 still agood buy for general photography? I now own a Sony A6000 and it is not my first Sony mirrorless but I never really bond with Sony cameras, don't ask me why I don't know but I cannot bond with them.
    I owned many Olympus mirrorless, sold them and always came back:biggrin: I now would like to return and use my 4/3 lenses and buy new m4/3 ones.
    I'm tryiny to make a choice between Fuji XT1 and Oly but fuji lenses are expensive and I want something 'small' to carry around on my trips. I could only choose between EP5 and EM1 because they are the ones I like.

Thank you for your help

2. Jonnieb

Jonnieb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Jon Barnett
    In a word, yes.

I have both E-P5 and 2 E-M1s. Both are fantastic cameras.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    An amazing buy, yes. I have the E-M1 and the E-P5. The E-M1 is superior in many ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    What was it about the sony? Was it the sluggish and complicated menu, the slow AF or the lack of lens choices and high prices for their product accessory range?

I recently bought an E-m1 despite not needing a camera with such a feature set or being able to afford it. Having had it for a few weeks now, I'm loving the user experience and don't regret my decision at all. When it first came out I thought it was ugly and way to big for an m4/3 camera. A few years later it seems more practical to me because all the new models seem to be getting a bit larger and higher end models no longer equipped with tilting LCD's. The E-m5 ii is something like 30g lighter and has that stupid articulating screen that I hate(currently also costs around 400usd more), the E-m10 ii, is 100g lighter but didn't feel as good in my hand as the original E-m10 or 5 and would require an additional grip which would add to the overall weight.

I also considered the X-t10 and 18-55 kit which at first, I thought was too heavy for it's size, it's roughly the same as the E-m10 with 12-50 but it felt a lot heavier to me. Ultimately it was the Fuji lenses that I would never be able to afford that swayed me back in the direction of the m4/3. I also thought about the Gx-8 which is roughly the same size as the E-m1 but they are in short supply here and I never liked it's clunky design and grip compared the Olympus. I was never into the E-p5 so I can't give my opinion on which of the two I prefer but don't forget the E-m1 has recently had some big firmware upgrades that add to it's overall feature set and value.

To answer your question, I would say it's still a good buy especially prices that are expected to drop now the Mkii as been announced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thank you for your replys. Well I think the reason I cannot bond with other cameras is something very subtle and subjective; I'm a jpeg shooter and I find Oly's jpeg SOOC is perfect for me. The only other camera that suits my taste is Nikon (I had D700 and D7100) but too heavy for me now that I'm into 60's.
    The crazy thing is that I also thought tghe EM1 was too big and chunky when it came out, but now I'm reconsidering it. Fuji: I had the EX2 but lenses are not affordable for me.
    I think I'll see in the second hand market here in Italy if there is an EM1 in good conditions.
    In the meantime feedback would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-M1 is the best camera I've used, bar none. At current prices, especially used, it's a bargain.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Since you are planning to use older 4/3 lenses, I'd recommend you get an E-M1 and not an E-P5. Autofocus with the E-M1 will work well, but with the E-P5 it won't. To make your lenses work, you'll have to buy an adapter, if you don't already have one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes I already have the adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    At $1299 for EM1+12-40/2.8 it is one of the best buys in the market currently. The FW 4.0 update brought most of the new features added to later model Olympus bodies so it's not "old" in the traditional sense of a 3 year old camera body.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    We will likely have E-M1 for second camera well after we get our hands on EM1II. Never go to an expensive or exclusive shoot/trip with only one camera body!

11. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    At current used prices, it's a fantastic deal.

I'm likely to keep my Mk1 if/when I buy an Mk2, because of the depreciation contrasted with the value it still provides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. raschmidt

raschmidt Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2014
    Chengdu, China
    Rob
    I can't go to another camera simply because of the grip on the E-M1. It might not be for everyone but it fits my hand like the best pair of gloves ever. No matter the shortcomings of the sensor or performance, it just feels really good to shoot and makes me want to shoot it even more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Agree it's a fantastic deal. I have the E-M1 and E-P5 (IR) and for 43s' lenses you need to stick with the E-M1. It will allow better autofocus with the older glass. The E-P5, IMHO, takes just as good images as the E-M1 but won't autofocus most 43s' lenses very well.
    I'll weigh the pros and cons after the new E-M1 mkII has been in production and decide whether to get a great bargain on an E-M1 or save my pennies for the mkII.
    Bobby
    PS, maybe handholding high res will come in a Firmware update to the mkII, after all us mkI owners got a great Firmware update in 4.1, besides I have been reserving judgement until I can see the results.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks to all of you. How is SOOC jpeg rendering? I don't post process.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I think the EM1 does a fine job of color. And it's AF is pretty darn good. If I do anything it's hit auto-enhance in iphoto, but usually not. Check out some pics here: Original Pictures From The Mountains

-Joe

16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Gave a look. Very nice. No post processing?

17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    It's very good. But, I shoot RAW+JPG so I have the RAWs to work with if I feel it needs adjusting.

BTW, I have an EM1 and think it's a great buy at today's prices. Olympus has been having sales on it, and the reconditioned price when a discount coupon comes up is excellent. And, your best choice (except for the EM1 II) to use with your 4/3rds lenses.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I too shoot raw+jpeg but never processed one:D

19. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks elandel. If I post process it is just hitting "auto enhance" in iphoto. Which doesn't do much...

-Joe

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    It's time for me to download iphoto I think.:D