is E-PL7 strictly inferior compared to OM-D line? Don't they have the same sensor?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mootxico, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mootxico

mootxico Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    I'm an E-PL7 owner. Bought it as upgrade for my E-PL1 to shoot me and my family easily during events.

I'm currently in Japan now, and played around with OM-D models with various lenses on display in a big camera shop (something that doesn't happen back in my home country because the people aren't as civilized).

I noticed that when shooting with an OMD-M5 or 10, I'm able to have higher shutter speed (around 300) when shooting in the shop lighting with a 12-40mm f2.8, while I'm getting like 150 shutter speed when I tried the same lens on my E-PL7.

I thought the capabilities of the cameras should be roughly the same? Since I was told M5, M10 and ePL7 uses the same sensor, but with ePL7 having a newer processor.

Tl;dr does a camera sensor determine the capability of a camera?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure what the shutter speed as determined by automatic metering has to do with anything. Set each of those cameras to the same settings manually and you'll get pretty much identical results.

The sensor determines base (RAW) image quality, but the image processor determines OOC JPEG quality, video quality, as well as ultimate limits on AF and burst shooting performance. That's it. Everything else is determined by other things.

3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Are you certain everything else was the same? Could the ISO have been different? Perhaps different cameras auto select ISOs differently, or perhaps the ISOs were set to different settings. And are you certain the apertures were the same? I don't mean to sound insulting with these questions, but truly, the same lens on two different cameras should give the same exposures. In other words, I would expect f4 at ISO 200 with the same lighting, to need need the same shutter speed for a correct exposure no matter the camera. Especially when it is with the same lens. Perhaps I am wrong, but that is what I would expect.

4. mootxico

mootxico Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2014
    I might've remembered some details wrongly. I was really excited at being able to test out all kinds of cameras and lenses freely without an employee hawking over my shoulders acting like I'm about to steal the displayed products

• Like Like x 1
  5. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I don't know the details of say the E-M10 vs the E-PL7, but I think the Pen and O-MD are not exactly inferior/superior other than maybe price or additional features as both have a target audience (ie: depending on your needs the E-PL7 might suit needs better than say an E-M10.

Not sure what you mean by shop lighting. If you simply mean hot lamps that don't strobe, and are using exactly the same identical lens on both camera bodies with the exact same settings (ISO, Aperture, etc), then technically they should use the same shutter speed.

If you were using automatic modes it's going to vary.

Which one felt better to you?

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E-PL7 is the newest Olympus M43 body. It has all the latest tech and image processing. Any difference is in handling. Saying that I'd love to get an E-PL7! Keep your camera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I hate to ask. Where is home? 'Murica? Ha.

8. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Other things that can affect exposure is the metering. Center weighted, spot, pinpoint......

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If I had to guess I'd say someone before you adjusted the settings that resulted in the difference. You were able to play around with it for a while, I'm sure the person before you was as well.

I can think if one thing right off the top of my head that might change the shutter speed. Max auto ISO, not sure if they're set the same by default or not but that could surely change the shutter speed giving you the results you noticed. 150 versus 300 seems a little odd for max auto ISO specifically with a 12-40, but you get the idea.