1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

is E-PL5 as good as E-M5 in low light?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vm666, Jan 4, 2014.

1. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    E-PL5 is supposed to have the same electronics as the OM-D E-M5. I had the impression that the images were slightly more noisy. Did anybody see the same thing?
    I plan to spend some time taking identical pictures at different speeds during one evening...

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I haven't noticed any difference in the files. But knock yourself out with the comparisons. :)

3. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I've found the EPL5 to be a bit cleaner than the M5 at lower ISO and the same at higher ISO. Pictures are also a bit sharper due to no AA filter. Impressive little camera.

4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    The five point ibis of the em5 - presumably this would make noticeably better images as well against the 3 point ibis of the Epl5?

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Not enough difference that I really noticed in the short time I had an E-PL5. If I have to shoot test shots under carefully controlled conditions to see a difference I call it a tie.

6. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Agree, there's not a lot in it IBIS-wise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've used both cameras and in my limited experience (amateur) the images are identical. The only reason I upgraded from the E-PL5 to the E-M5 was the IBIS. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be.
    Bobby

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If anything, the OOC JPEGs on the E-PL5 are slightly less noisy at the expense of some fine detail. I believe that Olympus has applied a slightly heavier brand of nose reduction on default in the E-PL5 vs. the OM-D E-M5 because of a (IMHO correct) estimation of the target markets of the two cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    And the noise filter on your JPG's (that's what Olympus calls it) in the menu has four settings: off, low, standard, and high. The EPL5 has the same sensor capability as the EM5.

If you shoot video though, you'll likely want to use the 5-way IS of the EM5 and you'll probably be turning off the IS in the EPL5 after seeing it in action..

10. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    http://ks3100133.kimsufi.com/mu43/test/

It seems that the JPEG from the E-PL5 has slightly less details than the E-M5 (you can see that in the tree branches), but the RAW files look identical.

The old E-PL1 is definitely inferior at high ISO -- and its light-meter is set to gives darker images?

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've owned both. Aside from the IBIS differences, the IQ differences between the two cameras is pretty minor. If you want to pixel peep, got to DPR and compare the EM5 images to the E-PM2 data. Although not the E-PL5, the PM2 is essentially the same an it will give you some die of the range of differences between two Oly bodies with the same sensor.