Is E-P2 still good?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by playak47, Aug 8, 2011.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    The new e-p2 price is very tempting at $315-$350.

I have e-pl1, I am looking to add another body. I want more control over the camera for quicker changes. E-P2 can do this. But with new cameras coming out with faster autofocus, tilt screen, touch screen is it still worth getting e-p2?

I have VF-2 and mostly m.zuiko lenses. So I am kind of invested in olympus.

But I would also love to consider GF3 on its size or G3 for its versatility. But then I cant use VF-2 and no IBIS with my lens.

Should I wait for e-pm1 or e-pl3 to see what those cameras are really about? I can use my evf with them.
    Get a good deal on e-p2?
    Get G3?

Obviously if I choose the more expensive options i'll wait a little more to save some more money. I also know most people will respond saying it depends on what i want to shoot. But I havent used any of the advanced cameras control cameras to know how much of difference it makes. Thats why i rely on your answers. We all know the pros and cons of the camera but prevoius experience helps.

If you had e-pl1, what camera would you look to upgrade to and why?
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It sounds like the E-P2 will be a good upgrade for you from the E-PL1, for what you're looking for. If all I had was an E-PL1, I would definitely look at upgrading to an E-P2. If I had an E-PL2 though, I would consider the E-P2 more of a downgrade even though it's technically a "higher grade" camera.

I wouldn't hold out for an E-P3 if it's out of your budget right now. Go for the E-P2 or even the E-PL2 if you find a similar deal on it. They're both a good upgrade from the E-PL1. Then save up your money for some better lenses. ;)
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If you don't mind buying used I have been seeing prices on E-PL2s down around $300 for body only. If you look on a reputable forum (like here) you can feel pretty secure in what you'll get. If you already have a VF2 then sticking with Olympus is a good idea ALTHOUGH the VF2 is pretty easy to sell as they are in demand so selling the E-PL1+VF2 together might get you pretty close to the price of a G3.

That said, an E-P2 is a definite jump up from what you have and it would be the simplest route. Either way you look at it you've got some good options.

Now for the last part of your question...I HAD an E-PL2 and VF2 and here's what I did. I went with a G2 (there was no G3 at the time) and the reason were this...I liked the flexibility of the built-in EVF and the articulating LCD that the Panasonic G body gave me. The other reason I made the switch was because I did not care for the UI and handling of the E-PL1 body (UI and button placement...I just found it awkward). I have an E-PL2 at work and thought it was MUCH better but then I handled a G2 it just felt so right that I went with it and was willing to give up IBIS, the OOC JPEGs and Olympus color to get it.

The E-P2, E-PL2 and G3 are all excellent cameras (and I agree with Ned if I had to choose between the E-P2 and E-PL2 I'd go with the latter as it is IMHO a better value). You cannot go wrong with any of them. We all have our favorites and for reasons that are right for each of us. Only you can tell what's right for you. If you can go to a store and handle the cameras. That will probably get you most of the way to an answer right there.
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I just recently aquired E-P2 as a second body to my E-PL2. However, I would not use E-P2 as a primary camera because of low resolutiuon screen and lack of flash. Other than that both cameras are very similar. I have not noticed any difference in AF speed or operation when coupled with identical lenses. The only thing I am trying to learn is how to select a focus point quickly as there is no dedicated button (for either focus target ot magnification) nor there is an otion to remap one of the buttons (correct me if I'm wrong). It's been quite frustrating after using E-PL2 (the only Olympus camera I ever used).
    By the way, that I did purchase G3 before that for use as a second or even primary body. But I just couldn't tweak it enough ( and I spent A LOT of time doing it) to get even remotely pleasing colors. Eventually, even with perharps higher noise, the pictures from E-PL2 looked so much more appealing.
    Also, Panasonic menu is very different and I found it a hassle for me to switch between the two cameras. I realized it's easier for me to stick with Oly and share same batteries, chargers and accessories with much smaller, cheaper and lighter non-OIS zooms. I sold G3 (it felt liberating, lol). I think I will pick up E-PM1 eventually. What is it about Oly that even Canon colors (which I like before) now seem dull and washed out...
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Olympus colors are indeed very pleasing. Of course like anything else it really comes down to personal preference. I for instance prefer the color I get from my G2 over the color I got from my E-P1. One isn't better than the other, merely one appealed more to my preference for color. to my eye the Olymous colors are saturated much the way Fuji film is with very rich looking blue skies. The Panasonic colors are much less saturated although I always felt they looked more natural to me (again, merely my opinion not any sort of empirical truth).
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am in exactly the same boat. I have a PL1 and am looking at where to move. Tried the GF2 but did not care for a non-stabilized body. Too bad, the G3 seems like such a nice camera otherwise. I do also like the colors Oly gives me, and they make me look better than I am. Have gotten multiple compliments about the beautiful colors in my photos, which are OOC JPEGs. It's addictive.

I was thinking about the PL2 or PL3, but actually I hadn't given the P2 much thought at all. (P3 is priced right out of the realm of possibility.) IIRC the PL1 came out after the P2, so I figured later = better. Gonna have to look into it now...
  7. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    I don't think the e-p2 is much of an upgrade from a pl1. yeh you get manual controls but you lose the flash and the image quality is pretty much the same. I think the pl1 is 'meant' to slightly edge it out but who really notices these things?

If you want a real upgrade i'd just wait til you can afford the e-p3 and get that. upgraded sensor processor, autofocus, screen etc. in 6 months after the e-p2 you will probably want the e-p3 anyway! (I would!)

if price is the biggest concern get the pl3 instead. they all are very good cameras. maybe list pros and cons and tie them into your budget.
  8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The EP2 is a bit of a downgrade in some ways. No flash, slightly less sharp.

I would wait for something else if the EPL1 isn't good enough for you. Probably the G3 since that is much more reasonably priced than the EP3 at under $600, and it has better IQ, whereas the EP3 is only slightly better than the EPL1.
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    That's the thing, I didn't like how my skin looked with G3 especially indoors ( kinda brownish with slight green cast to it even with custom WB). Oly colors are in fact addictive and it's not even funny. We can miss out on some great cameras out there. Another thing is that I take pictures to share with my family and friends not just for myself and all of them so strongly prefer my Oly pics... I'm trapped!
  10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Well I had both an E-PL1 and a E-P2...and sold the E-PL1. No regrets at all, a much better built camera, nicer controls and I have seen no downgrade as to screen but I use the vf-2 hence the back screen is useless to me. The E-PL1 was the introduction I needed at the time, but once I got my hands on the E-P2 it just sat on the shelf. I thought about getting it converted to IR, but realized I just didn't like the controls after the E-P2. Now the plan is to get an E-P3 and convert the E-P2 to IR, eventually. I think the PL series are nice, but build quality keeps me from any further investigation and I want the dual wheels no I now NEED them. Sorry Oly can't settle for second best, if it's gonna collect dust. Also looked at Pannys and even bought a GF1(only for the 20mm) and since it had no IBIS, and inferior viewfinder I never even took 1 shot before I sold it. Once I had a taste of premium I couldn't go back to house stock, but that's me not you or anyone else for that matter. The best camera for you is the one that goes click the most, not the one that everyone likes. Good luck!!!
  11. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, the E-PL1 was the downgrade to the LCD screen from the E-P2, being the same 220k resolution but smaller (only 2.7" as opposed to 3"). It's the E-PL2 which is the upgrade, having a 3" screen with twice the resolution (460k) of either of the three predecessors (E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1).
  13. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I have not used the dial wheel or the thumb wheel before. Is one dial as effective as 2 dials of e-p2 considering I give myself enough time to get used to the one dial?
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would say so. I'm quite happy with my E-PL2, even though the dual dials of my E-P1 is kind of missed. You can easily switch between the two dial functions by pressing up on the turnwheel, much like the Panasonic dial which you push in to access the secondary function.

The only thing I wish is that the one dial would be the thumbwheel and not the rotary dial with all the other buttons attached to it.