1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is E-M5 the best recommendation for those with hand tremors?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, May 22, 2014.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have been asked to make a recommendation to a budding m4/3rd's owner currently using a G3 and 45-200 and wanting a set-up that might possibly better compensate for mild hand tremors. Their budget is limited, and a used or refurbished E-M5, my initial recommendation, may be a bit beyond their top end. And, while my initial instinct is to think that the E-M1 and the E-M5 are probably best suited for this task, I am wondering if any of the lens or body-based systems are effective enough that one could tell the difference between, say, an OIS lens, Oly's 2-way IBIS or their 5-way IBIS under these circumstances. Or, is it possible that they all miss the mark and that none of these systems is effective enough to address this issue? Any thoughts or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated? I would hate to see anybody spend limited funds and find that no piece of equipment was reasonably up to the task.

Thanks,

--Ken

2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Em-5 apparently suffers from shutter shock. The ep-5 did too but just got an update to fix it. There's a recent comparison thread of different ibis an no ibis on here.

The general consensus is that the 5-axis ibis is great, and better than pans ois for shorter focal lengths. For Tele focal lenghts, ois will likely be as good or better than any ibis.

I would imagine ibis would be good help for your friend. If swappable lenses are not a must, you may want to check out a new Olympus camera w/5 axis ibis. Sh1 or something?

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I imagined that as well, but then I began to wonder what are the limits of these systems. I know there was a demonstration video just before the E-M1 was released that attempted to show how effective it was during video, but I was hoping to hear about some real world examples.

--Ken

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, when using tele photo lens, OIS reportedly works better.

Would a Monopod be an option?
    Barry

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mu-43 mobile app

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thank you for reminding me about the former. I do remember reading about that somewhere some time ago. As to the latter, I had also thought that might be a possibility since I used to shoot some college football with longer glass in APS-C format, but I am still curious as to my original question if one was to compare these systems under equal conditions.

--Ken

6. AlanGinman

AlanGinman New to Mu-43

Jun 2, 2014
    Hi There

I have hand tremors and also use the EM5. I find this camera brilliant. I can certainly hold it steadier than any other camera. I can even hand hold the 40-150mm lens at full extension and get sharp pictures. I'm not sure I could do that with any other camera (although I haven't tested that theory. I find it easier to use the Olympus hand grip with it (just the bit that scews into the camera, I don't usually use the add-on battery case, although the battery case does provide a shutter release button for portrait shots, which does help a lot. Most cameras are simply not designed to be held vertically.

Now, whether the EM5 is the BEST recommendation, I can't say, but it is very good in this situation. It also means that you get IBIS with all lenses, which can be useful.

Hope this helps

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    It's one of the reasons why I like my E-M1... The E-M5 IBIS is almost the same. I find it compensates well for my hand tremors. Mind you, I find that the weight of the camera causes less hand tremors than my Canon rig did... Weight can trigger tremors just as easily as it can dampen them and there's often a weight "sweet-spot" you can hold where hand tremors will be less or zero entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Yes...suffers from shutter shock. The images are completely unusable. Have you even held one in your hands?

OP, the E-M5 will be great, it has amazing IBIS, it is better than the majority of good optical OIS systems and probably equivalent with the likes of Nikon and Canon OIS even at longer focal lengths.

9. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I have hand tremors and went from the EPL5 to the EP5 for the ibis. Makes a big diff for me. Also, I have no instances of shutter shock

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I can vouch for E-M5 as a viable option for hand tremors. If it wasn't for IBIS I'd have never even tried photography. My hands tremor non-stop( due to type 1 diabetes and kidney failure) and I used an E-m5 with no issues, have now upgraded to GX7 and E-M1 both work, but the E-M1 is more effective with longer lenses.
    I'd go with the E-M5 if budget is an issue, as it will allow more lense options(legacy) with stabilization, where OIS is only good if the lense is equipped with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Shutter shock on the E-M5 is not too big an issue. The E-P5 (before the recent "0 delay" (actually 20ms between shutter opening and exposure starting)) was much worse.

12. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014

Just getting all the information out there for the OP. No need to get defensive.

This was a far more productive response - glad to hear it. EM-5 is on my possible buy-list as well - I was not sure about SS, so good to hear it is controlled.