Is E-M1 better than E-M5 for video?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ross the fiddler, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't normally take any video on my cameras (not seriously anyhow) & after a longer session for an event using the E-M1 I began to wonder if there was any advantage using one over the other (E-M1 vs E-M5). The Olympus online specs for the E-M5 is: Recording 20Mbps(Fine) & for the E-M1: Recording, 24 Mbps (Fine). What effect does that have on the resulting recorded video? Less compression of detail in the E-M1?

I would appreciate an informed response for this, thanks.

Please, no comments like; You should use a GH4 instead!

2. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Thanks. I have found one to start with, but I'm sure there are more (when I get time. Must go now for more pre-Christmas activities again), to quote; "Pros: Better bitrate slightly helps with macro blocking."

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I doubt that there's much difference between the two from a practical point of view. The video that the E-M1 produces is quite OK for general work, though it's a pity that it's limited to 30fps and doesn't offer 25fps for our 50Hz systems. I might point out that I did some aerial photography for a company earlier this year and took some video as a test (purely for my own purposes), which turned out surprisingly good. The video produced by the 'official' videographer with a Canon 5D MkII, same equivalent lenses and gyro stabiliser, turned out unusable. The video from the E-M1 certainly isn't up to the standard of the GH4, but unless you're into producing serious stuff, it's not all that bad whatsoever.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I do not do a lot of video, so take this with a grain of salt. To me the biggest difference isn't in the visual quality, but in the ability to use an external mic with the E1. I shot a few videos for clients on the E5 and the audio was less than acceptable. I just shot some video at an event I was covering and the added shotgun mic w/ the E1 yielded great results. Video quality on both was great.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ross the fiddler

Thanks for that comment. BTW, as some of us still use the Olympus DSLRs E1 & E5 (where the E5 also has video, but lower quality & also has a mic input) it would be less confusing if you refer to the OM-D models by the names E-M1 & E-M5.

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Ross for pointing that out. i'll be sure to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    I use the camera mostly for concert photography and also record the occasional video. The most important difference is the sound quality.
    Here is a E-M5 recording where you can hear the compression effects and distortion in the more dynamic parts of the concert
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmLsFdCBQjQ

This one, with the E-M1 is sounding far superior, even though they play really loud
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IokwkPdJs-g

Both done with the internal mic. And in both cases, handheld - the IBIS works miracles.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CDBSI

CDBSI New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2014
    Craig
    I use both for Weddings and I have found that the EM-1 video quality is slightly better but the more aggressive IBIS and make the video jerky while doing more movement (mimicking steady cam movement) while the EM-5 is much better in this movement. While both do not handle the moire very well and the limit on video recording is sometimes a pain the small file size and overall sharpness in the final files are great.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Hey. that's pretty good. Thanks for posting. I was trying at some point without success to find concert footage taken with EM1 and built-in microphones. It sounds pretty good.

12. Ross the fiddler

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. There are pros & cons for either one so it comes back to deciding on the priorities & since my idea was to use one for some video clips while keeping the other for just taking stills at particular events, I will have to decide beforehand & be better prepared next time, but in future, if I intend to record something again then a tripod will certainly relieve my arms & allow me to take the stills while letting the video continue unattended.