Is E-M1 better than E-M5 for video?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ross the fiddler, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't normally take any video on my cameras (not seriously anyhow) & after a longer session for an event using the E-M1 I began to wonder if there was any advantage using one over the other (E-M1 vs E-M5). The Olympus online specs for the E-M5 is: Recording 20Mbps(Fine) & for the E-M1: Recording, 24 Mbps (Fine). What effect does that have on the resulting recorded video? Less compression of detail in the E-M1?

I would appreciate an informed response for this, thanks.

Please, no comments like; You should use a GH4 instead!

2. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Randall Todd
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Thanks. I have found one to start with, but I'm sure there are more (when I get time. Must go now for more pre-Christmas activities again), to quote; "Pros: Better bitrate slightly helps with macro blocking."

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I doubt that there's much difference between the two from a practical point of view. The video that the E-M1 produces is quite OK for general work, though it's a pity that it's limited to 30fps and doesn't offer 25fps for our 50Hz systems. I might point out that I did some aerial photography for a company earlier this year and took some video as a test (purely for my own purposes), which turned out surprisingly good. The video produced by the 'official' videographer with a Canon 5D MkII, same equivalent lenses and gyro stabiliser, turned out unusable. The video from the E-M1 certainly isn't up to the standard of the GH4, but unless you're into producing serious stuff, it's not all that bad whatsoever.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I do not do a lot of video, so take this with a grain of salt. To me the biggest difference isn't in the visual quality, but in the ability to use an external mic with the E1. I shot a few videos for clients on the E5 and the audio was less than acceptable. I just shot some video at an event I was covering and the added shotgun mic w/ the E1 yielded great results. Video quality on both was great.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ross the fiddler

Thanks for that comment. BTW, as some of us still use the Olympus DSLRs E1 & E5 (where the E5 also has video, but lower quality & also has a mic input) it would be less confusing if you refer to the OM-D models by the names E-M1 & E-M5.

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Ross for pointing that out. i'll be sure to do that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    I use the camera mostly for concert photography and also record the occasional video. The most important difference is the sound quality.
    Here is a E-M5 recording where you can hear the compression effects and distortion in the more dynamic parts of the concert
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmLsFdCBQjQ

This one, with the E-M1 is sounding far superior, even though they play really loud
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IokwkPdJs-g

Both done with the internal mic. And in both cases, handheld - the IBIS works miracles.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CDBSI

CDBSI New to Mu-43

Dec 16, 2014
    Craig
    I use both for Weddings and I have found that the EM-1 video quality is slightly better but the more aggressive IBIS and make the video jerky while doing more movement (mimicking steady cam movement) while the EM-5 is much better in this movement. While both do not handle the moire very well and the limit on video recording is sometimes a pain the small file size and overall sharpness in the final files are great.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Hey. that's pretty good. Thanks for posting. I was trying at some point without success to find concert footage taken with EM1 and built-in microphones. It sounds pretty good.

12. Ross the fiddler

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. There are pros & cons for either one so it comes back to deciding on the priorities & since my idea was to use one for some video clips while keeping the other for just taking stills at particular events, I will have to decide beforehand & be better prepared next time, but in future, if I intend to record something again then a tripod will certainly relieve my arms & allow me to take the stills while letting the video continue unattended.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.