1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is droplet round?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Vivalo, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Yes it seems to be quite round.

P1185320.JPG

P1185341.JPG

Both are taken with E-P1, FL-36R, OM Zuiko 50mm 1.4 (aperture set to 4 or 8), one small tripod and 3 sheets of white paper. The first one is in colours and the second is b&w. Iso 100, exposure 3,2 seconds and flashed manually with the test button. Flash is on the right side 90 degrees and the white sheets are on the left side also 90 degrees. The room was very dim. Photos are cropped, sharpness and contrast applied with PSE. Shot as SHQ jpeg.

• Like Like x 5
  2. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

Fantastic.
    I like the idea of using the flash duration to freeze the shot, firing it manually off camera.

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Actually my initial plan was to set the flash on tripod and use radiotrigger to command it. Fortunately the battery was dead in the receiver so I had to think more creatively. I think it was better this way because it was easier to get the timing right.

4. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Very nice. I actually love the surface of the water in the second shot, more so even than the droplets.

So the first has not been monochromed in any way? Interesting, I would have expected to see some coloured banding (dispersion)

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    The OM Zuiko 50mm has zero CA at f/8, so no need for CA removal. If I remember correctly, I lowered the saturation in the first picture, to make it look a bit more pale.