1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IS compensation for a adapted lens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kartonos, Sep 11, 2012.

1. kartonos

kartonos Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if I set the IS correctly for my Voigtlander 25mm F/0.95 lens - should I set to 25mm or 50mm (as 2x crop factor)?

I've set to 25mm all of this time and so far didn't notice any issue, but would love to get corrected if i'm wrong.

Thanks.

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

25mm. My E-P1 only has 24mm so that's what I use. Set using the lens focal length for correct IS.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Always set it for the actual focal length, not some imaginary equivalent that belomgs to some other format.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't find that the IS on my E-PL1 does much on legacy lenses so I usually turn it off. It does seem to work good with the native lenses though.

5. kartonos

kartonos Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    Thanks for the input, but just to confirm this...
    I don't need to set the value for native lenses right? they're auto?

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    No, you don't need it for lenses that communicate with the body electronically.

For the record there are M4/3 lenses that don't communicate with the body like the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye or Lensbaby lenses that you DO have to set the IS focal length...againg the ACTUAL focal length.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Same for the Voity previously mentioned - gotta set it up manually.

I use legacy glass quite a bit and find IBIS on the E-P1 to be quite beneficial. I prefer ISO = 200 so shutter speeds can get long and IBIS extends that capability noticably.