1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is Canon Pixima Pro-100 still a good value?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by Timur, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I'm thinking to get myself a printer, try to print my photos and frame some of them (or make family albums). Don't really want to spend a ton of money, so I stumbled across this model in the first google search I made. Do you think it still hold the great value pick? Or is there some other model that's better maybe, more current, or more economical with ink? So far I tried printing with shutterfly once, and their 8x10 prints seemed ok to me. If I can achieve similar or better quality with this Canon, or some other budget-ish printer, I'd be happy :)

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you need to print larger than 8.5x11" ?

3. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I haven't tried really, but I think it would be a nice option for a larger print to hang on a wall or gift to someone)

4. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Another thing I wanted to ask as well - how many prints (8x11 for example) could you do with 1 set of cartridges? I know number can vary depending on profiles and color management, but maybe roughly? 10,20,30?

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Get one. They are wonderful. You can get them really cheap. I had no interest in printing my own vs labs, but now that I have one I love it and it opens more doors.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Reviews so far are great, I think I will. Regarding ink - how often do you change cartridges? How many photos are you able to print from one set?

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I think at least 50. Someone at red river did a cost analysis. More info there, but just get one. If you plan to print enough you won't regret it...and for what it cost there's nothing lost if you changed your mind..assuming you get a good deal like I did. I paid $49 AR shipped with 50 free sheets of paper 13x19. Also got buy one get 4 free 8x10 packs from Canon. It pays for itself at that cost.

8. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I wasn't able to find anything near that price yet. B&h sells for 135$ with a mail rebate, eBay has few new ones for 130$. I'll keep checking, if I'll find it for 50$ then it's a no brainer really)

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Still on first set...just one tank is close to replacement...others half full. Done maybe 25 8-10s. Dozen 12-16s and some 5-7s. Be sure to select black and white in properties if not printing color...or it uses non be ink.

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I think it's 1-2x yr...for me was an adorama VIP email offer in Nov. Wasn't even looking for a printer. Reviews sold me. Check Craig's list..lots there for $125 up from bundlers who got rebate but don't print. EBay for replacement ink.

11. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    These refill ink and cartridges work great with my Pro 100. I don't know if they sell the cartridge chip resetter or not--they do.

Precision Colors C5B

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I don't know how many prints I've made, but I just started running low on grey ink and need to replace. I'm not so sure about refilling my own cartridges but don't want to pay ~$18 for just one of eight cartridges of ink either--does anyone have any experience with the off-brand or the "Factory refilled" ones? Along the same lines, I've read that you need to replace all of the tanks at once. Is this true? All of my other inks are still half full.

But Timur, it's true that I don't have any experience with any other printers, but I like this one a lot. Just be aware that the printer and the footprint it takes up is deceptively large. I don't really print all that often (I should) so I keep it set up in a large closet in another room and have it connected through the wifi on the printer.

EDIT--oh, and just keep in the back of your mind that (in my part of the world at least) 13x19 frames are very few and far between.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  13. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    Thank you for all the info, I'm pretty convinced. Gonna try to hunt it down now.

14. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    If you have time keep an eye out and wait for sales. When I got mine, it was $299 but with a $200 rebate, plus five reams of 8 12x11 and one box of the big paper (most of which I still have because I don't print that much).

15. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    The current Canon rebate expires tomorrow, April 2nd. They may come out with a new offer, or not. Several for sale on Craig's list for $125-$199 in my area.

I've had several large format Canon printers over the years, and they have been real workhorses. Great output quality as well.
    Keep in mind that this is a dye based printer, so if fading of displayed work is a concern, you might want to go with the Pro-10, which is the pigment ink version.

I've been going back and forth, and have decided to go with the dye based, as I want the prints primarily for portfolio use, and any I hang I can reprint if they do fade. I'll send out for larger prints as needed.

16. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I love mine. The rebates made is totally affordable and the ink does last a long time.

17. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    The 100 is great.
    Download the Canon Print Studio Pro Print Studio Pro - - Canon UK. It's an extensive print program and will launch from Adobe LR and other programs and will use any of the paper profiles you can load.

It will also read your monitor profile and with a little one time tweaking will print what you see. Make sure your monitor is calibrated.

I also fill my own ink from Precision Colors Home Page . They have good instructions for the 100. Also read this review from someone who actually makes the ink at Precision Untitled Page .

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  18. Timur

Timur Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2015
    Timur
    I do have time to shop around and wait for possible sales/larger rebates, not really in a rush for now. I'm pretty eager to find one though, really want to see how my photos would look in print :) I've only printed a handful of my pictures before.

19. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    True. I print 12x16 and get affordable mats that fit 16x20 frames. Good standard size and cheaper solution. 13x19 is indeed more expensive.

20. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    One cartridge at a time can be changed.

The paper and ink profiles work very well together to give a WYSIWYG on a calibrated monitor. You probably won't get that with 3rd party inks unless you ran your own print calibrations. If you don't have a color calibrated system, you can waste a fortune on paper and ink.

• Informative Informative x 1