1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is Canon ambassador Andy Rouse going to switch to Olympus?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Pluttis, May 15, 2019.

1. Pluttis

Pluttis Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2016
    Sweden
    Peter
  2. Bisonbison

Bisonbison Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2019
    Winner of the NatGeo Wildlife Photographer of the year 2017 who used to use Canon, now uses E-M1X and Olympus kit. Thats two pro wildlife photographers I know who have moved from Canon to Olympus. I think more will be considering a move after the 150-400mm comes out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Used to call it "shlt stirring" in my younger military days...................I'm all for a decent review or informed comments about anything, but sometimes, some subjects/personas just lend themselves to being covered in the "brown stuff" that I just don't want to wade through :) 

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Wildlife photography is one of those areas where I think m43 still has a big advantage over larger format systems, depending on what the end user is looking for and the conditions they're shooting in.

About the only thing that can come close to matching the reach:size ratio of an E-M1X & 300/4 PRO is a Nikon D500 (or D850 in crop mode) + 500mm f/5.6 PF. The Olympus gear gets you 600mm of reach (840mm with the 1.4x TC). The Nikon gear gets you 750mm of reach (1050mm with the 1.4x TC).

When shooting with a FF system, a 600mm f/4 is simply too large & heavy to lug around while walking and shoot hand-held. That's where the Olympus 300/4 PRO and Nikon 500/5.6 PF have a big advantage. Sure, the DoF isn't the same (and to some, this is an advantage), but the equipment is vastly more portable and easy to deal with on a daily basis.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. whumber

whumber Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2017
    It seems Canon may have dropped him as an ambassador, either that or he quit but since he hasn't really mentioned anything I suspect it's the former. Interesting to see how the way he talks about the EOS R changed before and after he was an ambassador. While he was an ambassador there's pretty much nothing but glowing reviews about it for shooting wildlife, even going as far as to say he was getting shots he couldn't get with the 1DXii. Afterwards he says, and I quote:

I'm shocked, shocked I say that a brand ambassador might not be completely honest while they're working for that brand. This kind of stuff is really why all the visionary reviews are completely worthless.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I mean, is anyone really surprised? Everyone knows that the EOS R (and RP) are jokes of a camera when compared to the other FF mirrorless cameras on the market. It shows just how far Canon lags its competitors from a technical point of view (and also shows how Canon fanboys don't care, and still buy it because of the Canon name).

• Like Like x 1
  7. whumber

whumber Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2017
    You wouldn't think so, but I've seen a surprisingly large number of people claiming that independent reviewers can't be trusted but brand ambassadors are more reliable because they "know the camera better". This isn't anything a Canon thing btw, I see it more from m43 people.

8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Oh, I’m well aware. We just saw it when the E-M1 X was released. Independent reviewers pointed out a number of valid shortcomings relative to other cameras on the market, and we’re criticized for it.

Robin wong posts his review talking about how amazing the camera is, and everyone was like “see, he says it’s amazing!”. Yes, of course he does. He’s paid by Olympus.

I never take anything the paid-shooters say seriously, because it’s not an unbiased point of view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, a total shock!

Hard to view this as good news. Why would I care if Olympus gives this cat a better offer to use their gear?

The need for people in this hobby to have their equipment choices validated never ceases to befuddle me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    Yes, it's strange, a sort of qualifying to counter an inferiority gear complex. I understand that m4/3 may have limitations for some, but for a hobbyist like me it's perfect, and I still can't get over the quality that an entry level EM10 series coupled with a very affordable Oly macro lens gives, for example.

11. Pluttis

Pluttis Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2016
    Sweden
    Peter
    Funny you say that, people have been complaining about Olympus not promoting the camera enough and having pros use it and show whats it capable of...and now when a pro and well known wild life photographer is going to shoot with it ist not good news?

I see it as good thing for the brand and m43.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Last year I met and spoke at length with an Olympus Ambassador at a trade show. He had been using Olympus since forever and is a very accomplished photographer. Both during his presentation(s) and during our talks he emphasized the fact that he didn’t really care what equipment he used... but that he saw no reason to switch to something else just because the grass appeared greener... for whatever length of time it might appear to be greener. I thought this was a pretty honest guy and respect him for that.

Sure he showcased the equipment during his talks but at no point did it feel like he was selling snake oil. He showcased it by showcasing his own photography, not with hype... the hype guy without substance, now that would have been the Fuji presenter I walked away from after less than 10 minutes. That guy was nothing but smoke and mirrors... talking tech and specs and hardly showing any photos at all... brutal!

So with relation to this thread... I think the switchers like this Canon green grass guy are the ones you have to be leery about... of course they’re going to push the hardware cuz it justifies them having made the switch. On the other hand someone like the aforementioned Oly Ambassador was talking from the heart... big difference imo.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I think you're getting two different concepts confused.

Having brand ambassadors is good, because it showcases what the system is capable of in the hands of the very best people. However, as a consumer you should be wise enough to not take everything they say at face value, because they have a vested interest in the success of that platform.They are not an impartial reviewer, and their primary purpose is to promote and sell the equipment from the manufacturer paying them, not provide unbiased reviews and comparisons, and allow the consumer to make an educated decision on their own based on individual needs unique to them.

The two are not really related at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    That is core in advertising, endorsements.
    Basketball shoes, baseball bats and gloves, cars, etc, etc.
    If person X endorses the gear for Y, then it must be good.​
    One reason is MANY people do not do the research that they should.
    So they take the endorsements as "research."​

The problem as I see it is, it is NOT the gear, it is the photographer.
    • The correct gear makes things easier, but does not replace a good eye and skill.
    • No matter the gear, I will 99.99999% not be able to get the kinds of images Ansel Adams and some of the other great photographers did. Because I do not have their "eye."
    • I was asked by my students about how I got some of my good sport pictures. And I told them PRACTICE, LOTS OF PRACTICE. Not just ONE game, but EVERY game that I can shoot. Like a musician, a photographer has to practice to get better. Again, not fancy expensive gear, it is the photographer.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Pluttis

Pluttis Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2016
    Sweden
    Peter
    Well aware of that and as you said ..."having brand ambassadors is good, because it showcases what the system is capable of in the hands of the very best people"...so how can it not be good news getting Andy Rouse as Olympus visionary? Think its great news, good for the brand and m43.

Maybe i misunderstood demiro when he said "Hard to view this as good news"

16. CO_yeti

CO_yeti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2019
    Denver, CO
    I'd say the fact hat no one could figure out what camera he was testing from his photos is a pretty valid point that reviewers and so called experts don't know much.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I will admit though, it's hilarious that Canon fans thought there was actually an interesting and capable Canon mirrorless camera coming, only to find out he was shooting with the E-M1X

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would feel bad for Canon fans, but for some inexplicable reason they continue to allow Canon to separate them from their hard-earned money in exchange for cameras that trail the competition.

• Like Like x 3
  18. The Grumpy Snapper

The Grumpy Snapper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 9, 2017
    Canon also lost Nat Geo photographer Paul Nicklen to Sony recently.

19. RS86

RS86 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2019
    Finland
    Hmm, what is this stuff again? Can you please explain why you need to say "I see it more from m43 people" on m43 forum? Generalize the whole group from some of your observations? ijm5012 hints similar in his reply.

Every brand has ambassadors or such. There is no need to say m43 people are blind to ambassadors being biased. This can happen to anyone who is not aware of common sensical things. It is not a matter of any brand. They usually tell about it anyway I think.

I keep seeing stuff here that baffles me, I mean wow, heh. Also it's offtopic, wonder why need to bring it up this way.

About the subject, hasn't anyone told the Canon ambassador that m43 is about to die? First he sells his Canon gear with loss, then when m43 dies "soon", he loses the worth of his new gear. I'm joking about this last part btw.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 31, 2013
    Gear doesn't make the pro level photographer but it helps them in taking difficult shots... Just like Robin Wong, you could give them an old first generation DSLR and watch them blow modern photographers with an A9 away in a lot of situations. Print included.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.