Is Big Brother watching? Or listening in..

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
All of this stuff is still early days. Think about all the people doing DNA tests, and the implications of it. It's not really you those results are going to effect, but your descendants. We are products of our DNA, and many of the choices we make are hardwired into us. They are just scratching the surface of what they can glean from our DNA. Imagine what they'll be able to tell about a person and how they'll respond to certain situations in 100 years based on their DNA; or rather, based on the DNA test YOU took.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
All of this stuff is still early days. Think about all the people doing DNA tests, and the implications of it. It's not really you those results are going to effect, but your descendants. We are products of our DNA, and many of the choices we make are hardwired into us. They are just scratching the surface of what they can glean from our DNA. Imagine what they'll be able to tell about a person and how they'll respond to certain situations in 100 years based on their DNA; or rather, based on the DNA test YOU took.
Ever watch Gattaca (1997)? It is a great science fiction film regarding a potential future society's views on genetic discrimination.

I remember when I bought my first brand new car, it wasn't a model I saw much out on the road, but suddenly they were everywhere. It's not that the car had become super popular, but that I was now primed to notice them.

Smart phone and home devices do not constantly stream audio data back to the mothership with your intimate details for several practical reasons, including bandwidth, battery life and processing power. There are also regulatory deterrents -- but really, they don't need to do so because you already through normal day-to-day usage tell Facebook, for instance, everything they need to know in order to sell your demographic profile to advertisers. If you allow the Facebook platform -- enabled by default -- then you can also be followed on the web whenever you visit Facebook's partners, especially those that leverage Facebook logins or like/share functionality.

I've turned off the platform. The biggest annoyance for doing so is that I had to create new logins for a few sites and apps, and I can no longer do Facebook live broadcasts, which probably no one would ever watch anyway. ;)

These days the only targeted adverts I notice are the ones served up by Amazon's partners, usually for products I've already purchased.

Last edited:

rfaucher

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob Faucher
I've seen this phenomena when I chat with my co-workers at lunch. Predictably, we see ads later in the day that are related to our conversation. No wonder basic flip phones are making a comeback.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I don't think there's any conspiracy theory here, just coincidence theory where people's information is being mined for marketing and huge profits are made from it.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
One thing I can't really get my head around, is why people are so stressed out about having their movements tracked. About the only time I ever think about it, is when I go out riding my motorcycle, as I may stray a little bit, well, sometimes more than a little bit, over the posted speed, & I don't want too much evidence left behind. So I simply switch it off (the phone). But then there's your credit card. Pretty easily tracked. And all your browsing history. I can understand if you're a crook, & you're trying to hide from the law, but for the average person going about their average business, what exactly is the issue?
Let's say you are a woman who just broke up with a somewhat crazy guy who can access tracking data...

And thousands of people CAN access tracking data.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Don't stress about it, Speedy. If it doesn't bother you, let it ride, dude. For many people (and not just folks you know) it's the principle of privacy that matters. Many people object to being filmed in their bedrooms or bathrooms, but if it doesn't bother you, then just leave it for those other folks to worry about. No worries, mate.
Probably harmless. Probably no other implication than "personalized marketing". Probably no one interested in my boring life; right? And I never do anything that I wouldn't do in public. No worries then.
That's an exceedingly long winded way to say "because"
Good effort.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Let's say you are a woman who just broke up with a somewhat crazy guy who can access tracking data...
Interesting that you mention that. Have a read of this. What's not mentioned, is that the police had a pretty fair idea of what had gone on, as they tracked his movements from his mobile phone. Then filled in the pieces
Incidentally, CCTV camera proliferation is bad too. Just look what it caused there
Murder of Jill Meagher - Wikipedia

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sorry you missed it then. The message was "Don't stress about it. If it doesn't bother you, good for you." "Because" sounds like my kids when they were young.
Like I wrote previously, I sometimes do get tin foil hat attacks, when going for a "spirited" ride on my motorcycles, and go withdraw a suitable chunk of cash from the bank, turn off my phone, and let rip. In the appropriate environment mind you.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Like I wrote previously, I sometimes do get tin foil hat attacks, when going for a "spirited" ride on my motorcycles, and go withdraw a suitable chunk of cash from the bank, turn off my phone, and let rip. In the appropriate environment mind you.
If you need/want mapping capability, but OFF-LINE with your cellular data turned off, you can use "Here Wo Go" maps. It's the old Nokia mapping platform before it was sold to some auto companies. It allows you to download a specific country (or region of a country) and be used off-line. Also useful for folks that go into areas with no cell towers to use for Google Maps, or if you're travelling to some place with expensive or unneeded cell service. My in-laws went on a 55 day cruise from the UK to Hong Kong. I downloaded all the maps they would need onto their phone and then pulled out their SIM card so they wouldn't incur any accidental crazy charges. But they still had maps/directions every time they stepped off the ship.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
The only part of all this that bothers me is all the cameras and lenses I look at online show up as adds on my wife's computer.
If that's the only part that bothers you; then my advice would be "relax and enjoy it" - to really misuse the politician's quote. The personalized marketing is pretty benign - unless you believe the studies about how impressionable the human brain really is. The parts that concern most people are well past that. Best not to think about them and keep a clear head.
But, at the same time, I urge you to not deny that it is happening and has potentially huge implications far beyond marketing dog food to dog owners or cameras to photographers.

"Pride cometh before a fall." as the poet would remind us. Remember to remain FAR more than the sum of your data.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom