Is anyone using the Profoto A1? Opinions?

Linda L.

New to Mu-43
I have a Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and recently added a Profoto B1. Considering adding two Profoto A1 to make a studio setup. Curious if anyone has this combination and if there are any downsides. Wondering why they don't make an on-camera version of the A1 for Olympus? Does anyone think that's coming?

inkista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
...Wondering why they don't make an on-camera version of the A1 for Olympus? Does anyone think that's coming?
I think they're probably going by Air Remote sales to see which flavors of A1 they'll create. It's probably a volume-of-sales thing.

Also it could be that the majority of folks using B1 and B10 lights for editorial/fashion work aren't feeling a need for an on-camera flash the way wedding shooters are. And I'd bet there's a Sony version of the A1 out before there's an µ4/3 one. If you really need a smaller light now, maybe the B10 is an option?

I don’t have the A1 but I just traded my Broncolor Siros monolight for the Profoto B10 duo kit and absolutely love it!

These B10’s are beasts for how small they are! I considered an A1 as well for an additional small accent light but until they release an Olympus version I’ll wait. I know the B10’s are a bit more spendy but they are still a lightweight package and more versatile, for me at least.

I’m actually considering adding a B1X similar to your B1, mainly for larger modifiers, I kinda wonder if Profoto will do a refresh/update to the B1X in the near future though.

BTW, I’ve tested the B10’s with large modifiers (about a 5’ Octa and a 4’x6’ softbox) and it can definitely handle them. It’s just a little awkward to adjust them without a nice handle to hold onto like the B1/X has.

Linda L.

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think they're probably going by Air Remote sales to see which flavors of A1 they'll create. It's probably a volume-of-sales thing.

Also it could be that the majority of folks using B1 and B10 lights for editorial/fashion work aren't feeling a need for an on-camera flash the way wedding shooters are. And I'd bet there's a Sony version of the A1 out before there's an µ4/3 one. If you really need a smaller light now, maybe the B10 is an option?
Thanks! Am looking into that too.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom