Is anyone using the Panasonic G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 14, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Would love to hear any feedbaclk/thoughts.

I have some questions such as:

How are the ergonomics
    How quick is the proximity sensor switch ont the evf
    How is the build quality compared to the g3 or gx1
    How is the metering compared to the G3, which I found inconsistent

Any other thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. sdeban

sdeban Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Impressions of the G5 vs GX1

Well, for me, the G5 has better ergonomics with its larger grip. I found the GX1 too small for my hands, especially when shooting macro with the 45 mm lens and an external flash. Of course the camera is larger overall, which makes it a challenge to fit in your pocket. It's still remarkably small, however, compared to an SLR. The size is perfect for my hands. I also like that the electronic shutter eliminates the vibration problems the GX1 has with some lenses that causes a double edge. The EVF is fantastic with its quality and eye sensor and I use it very often, and the swiveling screen is also beautiful and great for low shots, and much more viewable in sun than that of the GX1 which is basically unusable in sun. That the interface is fully touch driven is very nice. The menus on the GX1 are not. Lots to like about the G5 in terms of features, and I think the images are cleaner than those from the GX1. Images shot at ISO 1600 need less work in LR4.2 than those from the GX1 did, I think. These are impressions and not based on any comparative analysis of the images.
    There is room for improvement however. The rear wheel is too far to the right so it's not possible to use the camera one handed and make adjustments with the wheel, like on the GX1. Also, the front toggle is nice, but it would be great if you could assign functions to it like aperture in A or shutter in S mode, or either in P. As it is now, you can only choose exposure compensation or zoom. I hope a firmware update will enable that. The eye sensor for the EVF is a bit too sensitive, even set on low, so that at times the rear screen blanks out because my hand triggers the eye sensor. At first this was puzzling until I learned to avoid getting within an inch of the sensor. I wouldn't mind it having an extra low sensitivity setting.
    Overall, I am very happy with the switch from the GX1 and don't miss anything about the GX1 even though I liked a lot about it before I got the G5. I would recommend the G5 over the GX1 because I think it's a better camera. Of course it is now 2x the price of the GX1.
    Regarding build quality, the GX1 seems more solid and less plasticky, but they weigh about the same. The G5 is not built as nicely as a high end SLR but I think it's fine unless you drop it. Who needs the extra weight anyway?
    Metering seems fine and consistent, about like the GX1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks for the feedback. Seems like the G5 is a little bit of a forgotten camera! There must be some other users out there :)

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I would think since Photokina is so close a lot of people are holding off just incase something surprising shows up.

typed on my phone, sorry.

5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I'm an early adopter and really like it! The ergonomics are much improved, though it took me a little while to get used to the new button positions, particularly the shutter release. (I am hitting buttons by mistake much less frequently.) I hadn't realized how much I would like having the grip, as I'd never missed it on my G3.

The autofocus speed is much faster, and the burst speed is great. I've barely scratched the surface of what the camera will do. I just decided to start going through the manual a little each day, or I'm never going to learn it all.

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The G5 is a highly underrated camera. Incredibly functional with very few drawbacks. Frankly, I think it's like getting 95% of the quality and functionality of the OM-D for around half the cost, a very good value camera. The IQ is just slightly behind, no IBIS and weathersealing. In turn you get a fully articulating screen, built-in HDR, and a silent electronic shutter (no vibration and great for subtle shooting). That said, you give up style..no one would say it's a sexy camera.

The ergonomics are great...as good as m43 camera. Just a bit better than the G1 which was my former fav.

Eye-sensor is the same as all the others imo.

Build quality is around on par with G3 (feels less dense than GX1 or G1) but probably as good or better than GH2. No issues, like flexing or squeaking. It just doesn't feel as "heavy" for it's size (while I consider the gx1 or omd feeling 'brick-like"). Curiously, it's all psychological given that the OMD is not much heavier than the G5 (before grip).

Metering is consistent (but I would say consistently underexposed by 1/3). I just leave it at +1/3. Havent had issues with blown highlights.

7. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Portugal
    I got one last week, but can't help with comparisons, it's my first m4/3 camera.
    Just one thing I don't really like... AF-C, shooting moving subjects with this camera is a pain. But I don't think that's news for anyone in this forum.

Like phrenic said, metering is consistent...at -1/3, I also leave my camera at +1/3 all the time. But it really is way more consistent than my D90 after that adjustment.

Here's some photos from my first outing with it and a panny 100-300:

http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/photos/i-fLmRmQm/0/O/i-fLmRmQm.jpg

http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/photos/i-rPQ2J5w/0/O/i-rPQ2J5w.jpg ISO3200 on this one.

http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/photos/i-7NH8d66/0/O/i-7NH8d66.jpg

http://fernandobatista.smugmug.com/photos/i-N8GvZ7P/0/O/i-N8GvZ7P.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    It's a highly underrated camera.

I am in agreement with the entirety of this post. I would have posted something similar had I not seen this comment. I love my G5 and am amazed at the improvement in IQ over my previous go to camera, an E-3 Olympus.
    Highly recommended!
    Dan

9. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I got one and sold a 5D2, Sigma 12-24, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200F4 IS and a few full frame bits and pieces within a week of owning it. What the G5 lacks in picture quality, it makes up for ergonomically. A picture that is 90% the quality of a 5D2 picture is better than no picture at all (I take the G5 anywhere, the 5D2 was a burden).

I'd previously used a GX1 and G3 but they weren't as good IMHO (I need a viewfinder as my eyes get worse with age).

10. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    I replaced (or augmented) my almost 4 years-old G1 with the G5, which I've been using for several weeks now. It's a great camera, greatly improved from the G1.

Size-wise, the folding LCD screen is thinner on the G5, so the camera feels a bit smaller than the G1, though I find the LCD is a bit harder to fold out than the G1's if you have short finger nails.

Image quality is greatly improved on the G5, its various JPEG modes are so good that I'm questioning the need to process RAW files unless the lighting situation demands such.

The menu system is greatly improved. Organizationally, the menus are very similar to older Lumix cameras but viewing them via the color LCD touch screen is so much better.

The electronic shutter is really a game changer for me. Absolutely silent (great for candid work) but also dramatically improves image quality when hand-holding the camera in dim light, reducing camera vibration to nil. I can see obvious sharpness improvements using the e-shutter over the mechanical shutter, even when viewing in-camera images on the LCD it's that obvious.

Another benefit to the e-shutter, which I don't recall anyone else mentioning, is that it should dramatically increase the life of the mechanical shutter, if one chooses to keep the camera for years and use it a lot (which I tend to do with cameras, my previous one being the venerable G1).

As for video, it's a great feature. I've already made 1 short video using a 24mm manual SLR lens in Minolta MD mount (a Voigtlander-made Vivitar Series 5), shot in MP4 mode (just because the iPad2 doesn't recognize AVCHD files) and edited in iMovie, the results are very promising. I especially like using manual focus lenses for video work, as you can rock or pull focus live, and also have manual control over the aperture.

Some things I've yet to try are the HDR mode, and shooting video in the various JPEG film modes. I'd especially like the try the new B/W mode in video; the stills in this mode are great.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this camera and hope others discover its benefits.

~Joe

• Like Like x 3
  11. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I was really tempted to upgrade my G3 for the G5 but I spent all my money on other stuff already. G5 looks really sweet. I bet it's awesome with the PL25 and the Oly 75, or the rumored 35-100/2.8. Not enough cash for all the toys! :)

12. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Having an electronic shutter does any one know what are the advantages of using the mechanical one.

13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The electronic shutter is limited to 1600 ISO and you can't use it with flash.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  14. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The best practice would be to work with the electronic shutter and to make a customized low light mode that enables the mechanical shutter. I assume this can be done using the a function key or C1 or C2 on the mode dial.

15. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I use the electronic shutter and use the quick menu to switch to the mechanical shutter but there maybe another way like you suggested.

Paul

16. david6785

david6785 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2012
    las vegas
    I tried several micro 43 cameras since moving over from the nex 5n and wondered if i made a mistake. That's when I started doing my research on the g5 and let me tell you I'm blowed away with my g5!! I absoluty love it, I haven't been so excited in a camera in a long time. I just love the jpeg rendering of skin tones and the colors damn they pop!! I'm getting sharpness and detail I never seen on a apsc camera!! I take the g5 over any rebel or next camera without hesitation. Only the new gh3 could do that but I'm really happy with my purchase!

17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I could have sworn this isnt an option for the quick menu (i find myself toggling or using custom settings). Or can you change what is listed on q menu? I'd also love to have the hdr option to toggle there to prevent menu diving.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

18. david6785

david6785 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2012
    las vegas
    On the lower left on the quick menu is were you can customize the quick setting just drag and drop what you like in quick menu love it

• Like Like x 1
  19. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    G5 now my primary camera. Fits my needs, as G2 did and G3 didn't. Not enough time in the field yet and waiting for Lightroom to have an official release 4.2 to support G5 Raw.

20. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    You can download LR4.2 release candidate, it supports the G5.

Paul