Is anyone using the Metz 58...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stephen.s1, Jan 6, 2013.

1. stephen.s1

stephen.s1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2012
    CT, USA
    ..with an OMD? Does it slave properly?

and... is the same unit actually compatible with the Leica M9?

TIA

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I used a 58AF2 extensively but not with an OMD. I had an EPL2, EPL1 and GH2.

Yes the slave function works. No it's NOT the same connection as the M9. Leica and 4/3 Leica are different. The ONLY fully compatible flash for the M9 is the FL58 Leica flash which is exactly the same unit (made by Metz) badeged Leica and cost three times as much.

Gordon

3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I use the 58 with my E-M5 it works flawlessly in mounted, and in wireless.

As for its Leica compatibility, I have no clue, although I would imagine since it states it works for Oly, Pana, and Leica it would work just fine, but that is an assumption, and we know how those can go :)

4. rkell

rkell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    It is well-documented that the 58s do not work flawlessly with the E-M5. As one example, the 58 AF-2 doesn't work in RC Manual mode with the E-M5, whereas it seems to work fine in RC TTL and Auto modes. A lot of us are awaiting a firmware update from Metz.

Metz 58 af 1 with em-5 ?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

5. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    It works flawlessly for me in the modes I use it in, when using manual I have never used it, I go with far more practical RF triggers.

Thank you for pointing out that one mode doesn't work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I chose a 50 to work with my OMD
    a touch smaller
    I do miss the extra battery ability but I would never use the front flash of the 58 ? and decided to try the 50 ? might get a 58 and hope oly updates the big flash they have now to be a large version of the Fl600 :)

7. rkell

rkell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    What's even more practical than that: being able to dial manual exposure from the camera, rather than having to walk over to the flash and dial in manually in dumb slave mode. Plus, RF triggers don't allow for FP mode, needed for many daylight uses.

8. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I wish oly would come up with a system like the new canon ?

downside to non radio they just dont work reliable :) I still like them and I love the rear screen control of the OMD :) but wish it could be radio for reliability :)

9. stephen.s1

stephen.s1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2012
    CT, USA
    All excellent answers.. Many thanks... Bottom line: I will buy a '58... it'll be used as a slave unit 99% of the time. :)

aside: still irked that my nikon strobes don't trigger when the omd dinky-light flashes.

Other than that, I love the OMD...

It's a PERFECT street shooter.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Different strokes for different folks, personally I don't mind walking a bit, gives me a chance to refine the lighting position while I'm adjusting my flash output, but I'm not you and you aren't me, so we will just have to disagree. See I'm wordy AND a rhyming fool. ;)

11. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    And I would say thats why I use a voice activated remote that doubles as a light stand
    Also known as the assistant :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Oh that's a nice model of stand, you can't just buy one anywhere ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. rkell

rkell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Here's an inexpensive solution. Use the Oly RC interface but with radio range and reliability. I have one transmitter & two receivers - works great.

Better Family Photos: Cheap Wireless TTL? Aokatec AK-TTL Review

14. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Plus besides paying them you have to feed them etc...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Well if they like my goldfish they screwed ;)

16. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    kinda like the radio popper idea :)

says not sure about oly though :)

also want a on camera also at the same time :) one day maybe :)

for now I have both pocketwizard stuff and phottix which is working out nicely on the OMD
    manual triggers but my on camera can do TTL if I want so can just flick on and off the OCF with a press of a button
    so far working out pretty good

17. rkell

rkell Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    The system works great on Olympus. Simply translates RC optical signalling to radio and back.

Can use on-camera flash at the same time - just have to shield the remote flashes a little more carefully so they don't get confused by double signals.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MichaelRpdx

MichaelRpdx New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2013
    Have you used the high speed sync much? (FP mode)
    If it works as advertised it's a killer great feature.

19. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Sorry I've only tried the feature once, I am slow like a turtle so I use my flash the same way ;). When I tested it it seemed to work similarly to my old Canons.