1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is anyone using a GX1 video firmware hack?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Jun 26, 2015.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    I've been reading about Ptool and Galaxian firmware hacks, and was wondering if it's worth it or not, or what your experiences have been. I'm just starting to shoot video and have no idea what I'm doing.

2. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    Ok, so I read here or somewhere else that the video hacks tend to reduce some artifacts in scenes with a great deal of motion involving subjects such as grass or fire, but otherwise aren't really worth it and decrease the reliability somewhat, making the camera less useful for professional work.

3. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    the camera will freeze if you try watching in camera play back that alone i think its not worth it. There is no manual control for videos anyway and the video is not that much better

4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Can't speak for the GX1, but some of the hacks for GH cameras are downright dangerous. Many of them increase the running temperature of the video processor, beyond what the camera was designed to withstand. Is it worth the risk, and the cost of a new sensor ass'y?

5. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    i been using hacks on my gh2 for 2 yrs now it doesnt even get warm dont know what you are talking about. The only risk is the firmware update which can go wrong with a hack or no hack