Is anyone having em-5 sensor problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 27gbwn, Apr 21, 2012.

1. 27gbwn

27gbwn New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2012
  2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Nope...

3. nostatic9

nostatic9 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    I believe about 1% of what is posted on dpr forums.

• Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    And DPR users represent about 0.1% of cameras shipped. :biggrin:

5. 27gbwn

27gbwn New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2012
    True that this represents a minuscule fraction of cameras; however, I just hope it doesn't point to problems that could arise with its complex sensor. Also I do believe the guy who posted the video as it's Michael Tapes, owner of RawWorkflow.com, creator of WhiBal, and who was also on the development team of Capture One, RawShooter, and Lightroom. That he's having such difficulties with his em-5 constantly crashing frankly scares the hell out of me.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Who cares, all products have issues; there is no 100% success rate in mass-marketed products. That's what warranties are for. It doesn't matter whether you're buying a ream of printer paper or a Rolls Royce; you can end up with a faulty product. It sucks, but you're basically playing the numbers game with every product you buy. Someone's gotta lose. Luckily, all it means for you is a few more weeks of downtime.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1..

8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    1000 shutter actuations and no problems

9. 27gbwn

27gbwn New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2012
    Yes, that's true. Just trying to figure out if it would be smarter to wait for the new model. I'm expecting my em-5 on Tuesday and am just worried. Will have two years warranty (standard + my credit card) but that video really got to me.

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, you should probably wait for the next model. But then, what about when there are invariably a few faulty copies there? So, wait until the model after that just to be safe. But be careful, it will probably have a few as well, so don't jump in just yet. We're now 5 years down the road, and just because some guy got a faulty camera way back when, you still have nothing in your hands. And since every consumer product ever has had a few copies with issues, you might as well get rid of everything you own and go live in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere.

It's just a camera, chill. Again, I could make a video of any product you ever use failing. You're clearly typing to us on a computer, what model? I'll send you a few links to discussion forums that will make your head spin. What car do you drive? I'll link you the recall notice bulletins, and some forums that discuss the things that people have had freak instances of it going wrong. Again, ANY PRODUCT HAS A CHANCE OF BEING DEFECTIVE. That's life. If it is, then just use that spiffy 1-year warranty that Olympus gave you. If you have a mis-constructed camera, such as a faulty shutter or a broken IS system, the issue will present itself well within a year.

• Like Like x 4
  11. 27gbwn

27gbwn New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks! I needed that and am looking forward to getting my hands on the em-5 this upcoming week!

• Like Like x 1
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Defects happen, and they happen in cameras bought by experienced photographers as well as newbies.

The real question is whether this is an example of a couple of bad cameras, or a general manufacturing or design defect. Considering the number of people who've received the camera, and the number who've noticed this problem, it definitely looks like the former. But if you want to be on the safe side, there's no harm in waiting a few weeks to be certain.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  13. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    The camera is obviously as excited as the owner. LoL :laugh1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Almost a week in and no problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it. This reminds me of the Toyota stuck gas pedal problem or whatever. The few cars that had the problem showed up and people started freaking out but as time went on, life goes on as usual.

15. kapitano

kapitano Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Austria
    if you don't want your new camera, you can always make me a gift. i do also take broken cameras. just kidding! whenever you decide to buy it, i hope you'll enjoy your new camera. :smile:

16. nostatic9

nostatic9 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    But constitute 99% of whining.

I have no doubt that someone got an em5 that is mis-behaving. But there are three realities that I know:

1. All products have some failure rate
    2. Consumer electronics are currently remarkably complex yet remarkably trouble-free
    3. Life is short and you're dead a long time

If you like something and have the means, buy it. If you are unlucky, you'll return it and get a replacement or your money back. Or you can gnash your teeth and worry whether or not you'll be "that guy" that gets a lemon. On some level, that is unavoidable unless you do nothing and buy nothing in life. Stuff happens. The key from a consumer standpoint is how well the dealer and/or manufacturer take care of you should you be unlucky. This is one reason to forge a relationship with a local shop if you can. Often times they'll go the extra mile to take care of you.

17. lorrami

lorrami New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2012
    Haven't gotten my E-M5 yet, but truth be told, that video freaked me out a bit. However, I decided not to hold off on getting the camera because of that. If by some chance my camera has the issues, I'll send it back to Oly- and while I'm at it I'll ask them to replace it with a SILVER. :D Hey, it's worth a try, right?

LOL!

And if it is issue free, I'll just as happily take pictures with my black E-M5.

Lori

18. olydebut

olydebut Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    Maybe its how the cam was handled. Most people take it (ie : camera , laptop, etc)for granted. Gen rule, always take care of your expensive gear. Dont abuse it.

19. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Having NO problems. DPreview forums are the worst representation of unwarranted reactionary bull**** ever. So many know-it-alls, so much time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    DPreview forums are the worst representation of unwarranted reactionary bull**** ever. So many know-it-alls, so much time."

I find that I feel exactly the same way unless, of course, they publish something I agree with. Then I find them insightful and amazingly perceptive.:rofl:

• Like Like x 2