Is anybody still using the E500 or E400? Anyone value the Kodak sensor?

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
These oldies are selling at such low prices, I was wondering is there any "best" old FT camera one should look out for?
What lens - the 14-54mm or is the newer 14-42mm good enough?
Best

itstoughtofocus

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Bill
I shot with an E-1 a year ago. It came as the rear lens cap of a 12-35 I purchased. Loved the colors, though part of that could've been from the outstanding glass. Functionally, the E-1 was fine enough.

It was fun to use for a bit, but then I remembered why I was drawn to the small size mFT in the first place and found new homes for the camera and lens.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Second on the E-1, the only 4/3rds model of the 5 (I think) 4/3rds bodies I kept. Still takes great pictures especially portraits since it always rendered skin tones beautifully. I don't have experience with the 400/500, shot the E-520 for years but that was a Panasonic sensor I think.

For lenses I would skip the 14-42 kit lenses and get the 14-54mm (either version) or the 12-60mm since both are excellent, both do f2.8 on the wide end, and both are very cheap now.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I shot with an E-1 a year ago. It came as the rear lens cap of a 12-35 I purchased. Loved the colors, though part of that could've been from the outstanding glass. Functionally, the E-1 was fine enough.

It was fun to use for a bit, but then I remembered why I was drawn to the small size mFT in the first place and found new homes for the camera and lens.
I have been following the E1's on ebay but they seem very popular over here... The E400, E500 and the E1 all have the Kodak CCD sensor. I read some photographers were strong supporters of the CCD sensors from Oly...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
The E-1 is worth purchasing if only to shoot one single photo in order to hear the wonderful shutter sound of it that I have yet to hear again on another Olympus body. It is so soft, kind of like a gentle hug. Really it is!

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
The E-1 is worth purchasing if only to shoot one single photo in order to hear the wonderful shutter sound of it that I have yet to hear again on another Olympus body. It is so soft, kind of like a gentle hug. Really it is!
Patrick, I agree. The E-M1 MkII is also like that. Closest thing to my M2 and M3 Leicas that I have owned.

@BushmanOrig BTW, the E-1 is a superb camera up to about ISO 400.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I wouldn't mind an E1 in my "collection" - the one I had before was a wonderful camera...

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Include the E-300 as a Kodak sensor.

I just got an E-500 with two kit lenses for C$50 — that's about 97 cents US. :) (Actually, more like US$37.

I prefer to shoot it with SHG glass, or the excellent 50/2 macro.
That's interesting - the E400 (10MP) seems to be the last CCD sensor and the E500 fitted between the E1 and the E400. I recall the E400 was out a few weeks and the first CMOS E410 was released.
I agree on the lenses - I need to see how much I will use one
Any thoughts on the E500 - you first impressions looking at it from the future back into yesterday...

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
The older 43rds Olympus cameras were lovely. I came very close to buying an E-510 or 410 with the 14-54mm zoom. I stopped and bought a Pentax K200D instead because the autofocus on the Olys in those days was pretty dismal - especially with the older 43rds glass. I would have bought the Oly anyway but I just got my first pair of glasses and didn't trust my eyes for manual focus.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Any thoughts on the E500 - you first impressions looking at it from the future back into yesterday...
It's pretty much a "mo betta" E-300, but with a conventional pentaprism.

I sorta liked the E-300 look better, but the E-500 is a tiny bit lighter. They seem to take pretty much equal photos.

I got it pretty much as a "rescue," the way one might take in a stray dog. It was first listed for $150, then $100, and finally $50. That's when I decided I could throw $50 at an aspiring young photographer, if nothing else!

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
These oldies are selling at such low prices, I was wondering is there any "best" old FT camera one should look out for?
What lens - the 14-54mm or is the newer 14-42mm good enough?
Best
E-1 + f/2 50 macro

E-1_JAK_2008-PB040481_Ew.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was much steadier 12 years ago ...

GBarrington

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have a functional E-500, and a 14-54 (love that lens) but I don't use it. The Kodak sensor was indeed, very good for its era, but . . .

the 14-54 is a wonderfully sharp lens that while not a true macro, excels at casual closeups. When it was time to replace my E30, it was that lens that convinced me to stay with Olympus and m43s by its ability to be adapted to m43s. I did a lot of research, and could not find a different system that could guarantee me the same quality at the current prices. Moving to a new system would have cost me at least $3000 US. But I got an E-M10 I and an adapter for around $900.

I have since sold my E-30 along with the E-500's 14-42 kit lens. It still had some economic value while the E-500 had none at the time.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I just took a chance and bought an E300. Should have it tomorrow.

8mp Kodak ccd, offset optical viewfinder and side hinged mirror all make it interesting enough to appeal to me. No interest at all if it was cmos.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I just took a chance and bought an E300. Should have it tomorrow.

8mp Kodak ccd, offset optical viewfinder and side hinged mirror all make it interesting enough to appeal to me. No interest at all if it was cmos.
Congrats, look forward to hearing your feedback.

I have an E400 (CCD) and an older E520 (CMOS)

I think we have a world to discover with older cameras, especially now that some of them are selling for so little...

If you think about it, what are we looking for? Tech, MP, best CAF, lowest noise? No, I think we searching for that unique jpeg look, similar to older film cameras...

Yes, there are really interesting cameras like the one you now bought - that's also great to enjoy...

Best

PS - I am still curious to see what the E500 is like - wonder if its the same 8MP sensor?

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Update: sale fell through. The camera stops working with a CF card inserted, looks like a couple of the pins are bent. Disappointing, but I opted not to buy it even at reduced pricing.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I've tried to keep enjoying CCD imaging, both E500 and K200d. Perhaps I'll try again some day, but right now I am not in a position to keep gear that is used so rarely. In the meantime the fine zd70-300 will get its exercise! :thumbup:

Taz trooper

Mu-43 Regular
Still have my E510 - it's been barely used in the last 5 years, so I've put an IR filter on it, and it's purposed for IR photography. No sensor conversion yet, just 13 seconds at f8...

Latest threads

Top Bottom