Is a true pancake lens impossible?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Basset, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    I have read the many rave reviews of the Olympus 45 / 1.8. Is there a genuine physical limitation on making a smaller lens for that focal length? Or is the limitation economic?

I am just thinking about the Pentax DA 40 pancake lens (image here), and wonder whether such a thing is possible in the 4/3 world.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    20mm 1.7?

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    I've got the Pen F Zuiko 38mm & 40mm lenses (f1.8 & 1.4 respectively) - with an adaptor they seem to be roughly the same length as the new 45mm Zuiko. Obviously the old lenses were steel and lacked the automatic-fucos gubbins of the new lens.

One thing to remember is the Pentax body may be a bit deeper (so longer lens to sensor) which might make it a little easier to do shorter/thinner lenses. Nikon had a fairly thin 50mm f1.8 E pancake lens too.

Having said that the Pen F Zuiko 38mm f2.8 is tinier still - might win the 'most pancakey lens capable of being used on a 35mm camera' award.

I'm sure theres some fancy lens-design software out there that will let you play with various variables to produce a lens optimised for particular things (eg size, cost, weight, sharpness, bokeh etc).

4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Pentax makes a 70mm/2.4 that is physically more compact (when hood and cap are removed). It covers APS-C, so presumably a ยต4/3 variant on that design could have a smaller diameter.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, to a first approximation shorter focal length lenses have greater curvature on the lens elements so they tend to be physically thicker.

As the F number goes up things get smaller. With decreasing F number more and more control of abberations becomes tricker which usually means more glass and exotic materials and shapes so again bigger-these also add to cost.

A simple plano-convex lens of 48mm F1.8 is fairly small (for MFT image circle) but image quality not so nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.