1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is a timed autobracket on a GF5 possible?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sinclair, May 9, 2013.

1. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Okay, Saturday I'm going to be out taking a lot of photos for National Train Day. I want to be able to do some HDR work too. I've figured out how to get my camera to do the exposure bracket. But I'm not very steady to hold the button down and keep the camera still while it shoots the 5 bracketed shots. So I'll put it on a tripod, but as far as I can tell, I'll still have to hold the button while it takes the shots. I haven't been able to figure out how to get the 2 sec delay from button press to get it to take the bracketed shots. Is the reason I can't figure it out because it can't do it? I can select either a 2 sec shutter delay, or a bracket. If there is a setting I'm missing, I'd be grateful to have it pointed out. Thanks.

2. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Help, please.

3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I am new to the camera, but looking through the manual and "oogling", it doesn't appear that you can.

4. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks for checking.

5. Timer + Auto bracket

As far as I know, the features of the 'dirve' control are mutually exclusive. I.E. if you are shooting in bracket mode, you can't use the self timer or the mutli-shot or anything else on that dial.

I say dial, because I have a GH2 and that has a dial. I don't know how the control of the GF5 works, but I bet it is similar.

The solution to this is to get a remote shutter control. Again, I don't know that the GF5 has a port for one of these, but with a remote shutter control you can set the bracket as you want then either just use the remote control to get your hand off the camera or use the timer feature of the remote to delay two seconds.

The timer I purchased was of the Panasonic Lumix Wired Digital Timer Remote Control | eBay variety. These only cost about $20 and apart from the user's guide, which is in cryptic Chinglish , the device works very well.

6. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

The GF5 has no remote shutter release, that I'm aware of. It has only 2 ports, HDMI and USB. And the choices are menu driven, not dial driven as it has no dial. I was able to take shots over the weekend and am in the process of doing PP. Check the train thread for what I've finished and to check on more as I get them done.