1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is a sync cord reqd for FL300R off camera flash for TTL.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere, I thought it was controlled wirelessly.

2. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    No cable needed. It works as a wireless slave. The included flash on the E-M1 (presumably others, too, but I don't have any experience with alternatives) acts as the master. There's a toggle on hue he back of the flash, and then in e camera menu you have to enable RC mode, which on the E-M1 is the last item in the Cam2 menu.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    You can control the flash either with a TTL sync cord or in RC mode. The advantage of the TTL sync cord is for cameras that don't have built-in flashes and didn't come with a small TTL flash until to communicate wirelessly with. Another advantage is with certainly models, at least with my E-PL1 that the built-in flash even in RC mode set to LO (low output) is still over-powering the macro subject matter and it doesn't seem to want to trigger my FL-36R when it's out of sight beyond what's recommended by the Olympus manual. Whereas in SL mode (slave), the FL-36R triggers. The Olympus RC mode is not as robust as say the Nikon CLS system, which is more robust and reliable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Do Olympus do a Sync Cord for the E-M1.

In the E-M1 manual a cord is not listed as a flash accessory.

The Oly sync cord, the only one listed by them, on their site, is the.....FL-CB05
    http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/...s/pen_om_d_flash_systems/fl_cb05_1/index.html

The E-M1, & E-M5 for that matter, are not on the list of compatible cameras............WHY?

Can one therefore assume that Oly guns are not meant for sync cord TTL connection to either an E-M1 or an E-M5.

There are aftermarket, so called TTL sync cord available, this is one such...........http://www.ukhighland.co.uk/accesso...off-camera-cord-olympus-panasonic-fc314m.html

I'm puzzled as to why Oly don't do one and A/M do.....are they really TTL or do the just get the flash off-camera.

5. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Off camera ttl sync cords work fine on the OMDs. The oly cable should be ttl. The Fl300r, 600r, and the flm1-2 can all be used for rc. Unless you really need a sync cord just use the accessory flash to trigger the FL300r.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    A sync cord is a sync cord and as long as the hotshoe and TTL contacts are the same as that's on the camera, then it will work. The reason it's not a popular item is because most people do wireless triggers with something like Cowboy studio triggers, Cactus V5, PocketWizards and the YN-RF transceivers that they don't bother with TTL sync cords. Albeit some of these setup are manual control only, the use of the TTL sync cord is only useful if you don't want the commander flash to influence the macro shots or you want to place the commander unit pointing line of sight with the TTL slaves. For example, my E-PL1 built-in flash is still way too powerful even in LO mode or 1/64 to influence my shots when I want my main flash and slaves to do all the lighting and in certain situations the internal flash can't trigger my slaves in bright light situations or in obscure areas. The implementation on the Olympus system is not as good and sophisticated as the Nikon CLS system, so having a TTL sync cord for the controlling a main flash unit plus act as a commander unit is desirable or you use wireless triggers.

Also that in the film days, people use sync cords to trigger flash with their flash meters (like the Minolta 5/6 or Sekonic) to measure the flash exposure. So a TTL sync cord was useful. But these days with LCD monitors and digital sensors, you can fire off a couple of test shots, set the flashes up either manually or Auto and then fire away. It's definitely easier today than what I'm used to in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Any cheap Canon sync cord will give TTL with m43 cameras, as well because the pins line up perfectly. So as long as your flash and camera support wireless TTL then you can use either. Personally I prefer a cord when using a single flash close to camera.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2