1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is a G1 body worth $150?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Jun 9, 2011.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Here in Tokyo, G1 bodies go for $150 in camera stores. They are used but Japanese used which make them pretty much new. Is an old G1 a good buy at $150?

2. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Well,a quick look at Ebay completed listings shows that the sold price is around $220

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Sure is.

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    that's around the price i paid for one a couple of weeks ago on local craigslist classifieds...in mint condition too.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
  6. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Hm... Japan is opposite for the colors. Black is the most expensive and the colored ones are priced lower. Red seems to be at the bottom of the price structure. Might just have to pick one up.

Speaking of colors, I was at a store yesterday and saw the Pentax KR is a dizzying array of colors. Some of them made the camera look like a Fischer Price toy.

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Just check it has an English menu (unless you read Japanese) as a lot of Panasonic is produced exclusively with Japanese only for their local market.

8. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    yes!

9. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    All day long.... get two of them and I'll take one when you return...

10. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    go grab it! i got mine from ebay around £100 a couple of months ago.

11. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I can just use the "hack" to set it back to English.

12. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I'll probably grab one on the way out, there's no shortage and thus no rush. I've seen them at pretty much every camera store I've been to. All have them at about the same price.

I also know why the NEX 5 outsells the M43 cameras in Japan. They are substantially cheaper.

I've also played with a X100. It's "huge". I knew it was patterned after a rangefinder, but I didn't realize that they made it the same size as an old rangefinder as well. Definitely not pocketable.

Old film bodies are worth a lot in Japan. I saw a Petri 7s for 23,000 yen or about $287. I picked up one a few weeks back for $10.

13. That is a ludicrous price for a 7s! If I ever get to Japan I might just pack a few old rangefinder cameras with me and use them to fund the entire trip.

14. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I did this with my US GH1 to set it to PAL video but afaik the hack only works on GH1 and GF1.

15. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Dude, I saw an old Minolta rangefinder today at another camera store. It was even a fixed lens model. About $450(USD). Crazy.

They still make and sell film cameras here for the Japanese market. They sell them in the camera stores. There is this medium format Fuji that looks like a monster size version of the X100. It's huge. About $2500.

I got to play with a NEX C3 today, well... I got ambushed by a Sony rep and consented to walk around with one for a while. All in all, about the same experience as the NEX 3, just with better resolution. I played with the 18-200mm e-mount lens. It's absolutely huge. It's bigger than the 18-200mm alpha mount lens. I have no idea why. Takes forever to focus at the long end, about 2 seconds. I also got to play with an A900 with a 85mm F1.4 Planar lens. Very nice. The A33/A55 are still very impressive. I love my TX5. I played with a TX10 today. At first I couldn't figure out how to open the front door. It's flush unlike the TX5. I hated it at first, but now I'm used to it and I guess it prevents accidental openings. I hate the new finish. It's super slippery. It was tiny before and thus hard to hold. The TX10 is tiny and slippery.

I've come to the conclusion I love the X100. The combo OVF/EVF is a game changer. All cameras should have it. The only downside is that it is a "rangefinder" and thus composing your shot is a flashback to before SLRs. Especially up close, you have to take into account that the viewfinder is offset and what you see in the OVF is not what your shot will be.

Oh, the cameras stores here have the Panasonic M43 are on display with every single imaginable lens. You are encouraged to swap out and try any lens you desire. There's a body and then a palette of all the lenses.

I also tried the XZ1. I just don't see the point. It's not small, about the size of my NEX 3 with a Industar lens or a GF2 with a 14mm pancake. It's IQ is not as good. What's the advantage?

I also played with this JVC. I had to do a double take. It looks like a 1.5X sized version of the NEX 5.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/jvc-gc-px1-cant-decide-if-its-cam-or-camcorder-does-1080p60-v/

16. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    So I didn't get a G1 for $150. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I want video. Instead I found a GF1 for $183. I thought about it for a day and went back to get it. It was gone. I should have known. If anyone is going to Tokyo, be sure to check out Fujiya camera. I have never seen the same thing twice there. If I see something one day, if I go back the next it will be gone. It's a definitely if you want to buy it, then buy it when you see it kind of place. So I was already to leave Japan without a souvenir camera. Then yesterday, right before I left for the airport, I noticed another BIC camera in the neighborhood I was staying at. I hadn't check this one out yet. There was one on the other block but I never noticed this one. I went up to the 8th floor and there was a GH1 staring right at me when I got off the elevator. 16800 yen, $210. It was gold, not my favorite camera color but I couldn't pass it up. It was meant to be. So now I have a GH1. Time to break out ptool to load the english firmware.

17. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Pay for your airfare with miles and you might even profit off of your trip. :biggrin:

18. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Seriously. I have so many old "dead" film bodies, they work fine. I can't sell them for pennies here in the US. In Japan... they are worth a mint. Canon F1 bodies go for 69800 yen. That's almost $900. I have a couple of those in a dead body box.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I couldn't believe what I was reading.......Gold GH1? I googled it, it exists and now I have the hots for it. Thanks!

20. I would never have picked the GH1 as an object to be lusted over. Homely is how I would describe mine.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be busy for a while sorting through some vintage Canons, Olympuses, and Yashicas to fund my next holiday to Japan.