1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is a 50mm Nikon on m4/3 equal to 100mm on Native lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sigamy, Aug 13, 2013.

1. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I'm sure this has been covered. I did search and checked the stickies...

I'm confused on this. If I mount a legacy 50mm Nikon lens on a m4/3 camera, will the FL be equal to what I'd see at 100mm with a native lens?

Therefore, a 50mm legacy could be used as a portriat lens on m4/3?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    50mm makes a great portrait lens on M43. Get an adapter and go to town. I think everyone on this forum has dabbled with every sort of adapted 50mm at one point!

3. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens. It gives an equivalent of a 100mm lens on a full frame camera. The Oly 45mm ( native) gives an equivalent 90mm FOV. Yes , good for portraiture.

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    A 50mm lens on m4/3 is equal to what you'd see on a Nikon Full Frame with a 100mm lens.

On m4/3 a native 50mm lens (there are none, except zooms, but there are 45mm and 60mm lenses which are close) shows the same field of view as an adapted 50mm Nikon lens would on m4/3.

And yes, an adapted 50mm lens onto m4/3 does make a good portrait lens.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Summing up what doogjgreen said:

1) Any lenses with the same focal length used on the same system, regardless of whether they are native or adapted, will have the same field of view (ignoring possible vignetting from smaller lenses like c-mount ones.)

2) Any lens used on :43: will have the same FOV as a lens with double the focal length used on a Full-Frame camera.

(Note: if your Nikon camera is an APS-C sensored model, then on :43: lenses would have the same FOV as a lens with approximately 1/3 more focal length on the Nikon APS-C. E.g., 400mm on Nikon APS-C vs. 300mm on :43:. For Canon, it's only about 1/4 more.)