1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

is 1hr or more exposure time damage the sensor?

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by homerusan, Jan 16, 2013.

1. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    i wish to learn that if long exposure times like 1hr or 2hr, damage the sensor? i mean, my e-pl2 can handle these long times?
    i know it dont but i am not sure if its ok for e-pl2...
    and bonus question: on these kind of shots;
    500px / Photo "***" by Lincoln Harrison
    500px / Photo "***" by Lincoln Harrison
    why he use wide open aparture? isnt f11 or more gives longer dof distance? and inspite of focusing to infinite why use f2.8 or f3.5?

thanks

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I've heard pointing the sensor at the sun for a long time might damage it. I highly doubt star light out in the wilderness would damage the sensor.

He has the aperture wide open so he gets as much light as possible at the lowest ISO possible. As you can see, hes at ISO 1600 already, closing the aperture to f11 (4 stops) would require iso 25600 for same exposure :eek:

As you can see, he has sufficient DOF even at 2.8. Since he is shooting with a wide angle lens, he gets a VERY deep DOF at f2.8 if he plays it right.

Check this out. You can try it yourself.
    Online Depth of Field Calculator

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    First of all, those images are great! I wish i can be half as good at those kind of shots.

Second, i dont think the epl2 can handle such long exposure times. Shooting JPEGs in a hot day makes my epl2 over heat and needs to be turned off to cool down a bit.

Thrid, the logical reason IMO why he used a large aperture is to minimize the exposure time thus reducing the risk of breaking the sensor and being able to capture more exposures/shots. With m43 though, a great advantage we have is that we get more depth of focused area than APS-C / fullframe. So exposing it at 2.8, (im no good with math and not sure of the real computation/formula) i think you multiply it by 2 to get the equiv on 35mm/fullframe you get a DOF of 5.6 on fullframe

Hope that helped!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    He got those shots with a >1 hr exposure, wide open, at ISO 1600 at night. He is pretty much is in absolute darkness. I don't think exposing the sensor to so little light spanned across 1-2 hrs is going to kill it. At the most the camera will shut down. If the ep-l2 has the option for 1hr exposure, I say go for it, and post your results here :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Its not about how dark or bright what your pointing your camera at. Its the length of the exposure thats going to kill it (yes ive seen DSLRs with broken sensors because of lengthy exposures) Im not sure on how long can it (epl2) really go, but if you want it, go do it. And dont forget to post the images!

6. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    i got the point! thanks for the answers but i cant trust e-pl2 for such long exposures i think

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    There are also multiple programs designed to stitch star trail shots together. Most people I see doing this have 30-60sec shots, and then stacked on top of each other to make the overall shot. Leaving the sensor "on" for so long will probably result in hot pixels, which would be detrimental to the overall shot. Why not stack for the same effect? The EXIF data may have been modified to show this stacked shot, over a 1 hr period.

8. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    agree.
    i actually wanted to ask is if taking 150x30 sec shots or 200x30sec shots will damage the e-pl2 sensor?

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Those really are awesome shots. I don't know about the sensor, but how will the battery hold up for that many long exposures? Not that it would hurt the battery, but what's the likelyhood of running out of power before you're done shooting?

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    My G2 sensor was damaged by a class 2 laser in a blink of a second when shooting into it (Thanks EVF). This damage was verified, after deep examination by an expert. He told me that it is not the first time he saw damage like this caused by lasers.
    I do not know if stars can damage a sensor but laser can.The damage is a small line about 20x2 pixels purple burn.

11. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

Look at the right side menu, he states on there they are both stacked iomaages of over 200 shot at 30 and 60 seconds.

12. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
  13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    stacking is the only chance to do that with m43. Ive been doing star photography also, and even at ISO 1600, f2,8 for 30sec i get tons of noise.

Chris Leskovsek Photo: Milky way, Lake Waikaremoana, NZ

I hate blaming good photos on gear more than the photographer, but those photos being quite amazing i dont think they are possible with anything less than the D800 or a Medium Format camera. I mean, OF COURSE any camera can do that exposure. but the noise would be so terrible that it would be 100% useless.

my 0.0000002 cents

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    again reading at the comments. Couldnt be all just the camera.

This was a stacked image he composed in Photoshop CS6. He didnt got the full circles of star trails u usually get because he went on reducing exposure gradually.

so this tells us that the sensor was not exposed for more than an hour. just hundreds of photos.

amazing work of the photographer.

15. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    but he says 225x30sec exposure time 1hr 40min

16. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    I have done a bit of astrophotography, generally a stack will give you the best results.

you dont really need a D800 to get some awesome images, these were all done by either my old D90 or D7000.

ALl you really need is a sturdy tripod and a wide angle lens with decent stacking software, for shots like the nebulas i used a D7000 + 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm. Make sure you get your lights, darks, etc.

remember the longer the focal length the greater the streaking. at 200mm i could only expose for 2-3 seconds before the stars started to streak. For that you need a device to compensate for the rotation of the planet, you can buy them but they are expencive. i made my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barn door tracker.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Yes your math is right, 1hr 40min total. but each one of those 225 images is only an 30sec exposure at ISO1600 at f2.8, and thats perfectly doable for an OMD or so. (eventhough my experience says that long exposure at high iso such as ISO1600 on the OMD gets quite a lot of noise).

So you need an intervalometer to trigger the camera every X amount of time to shoot a 30sec at ISO1600, FX,X (according to your lens), and after an hour and 40 minutes you will end up with those 225 images which then you take into your computer and stacked them with your software of preference.

And like Chris (Chronos) said before you dont need the latest gear to do it, eventhough at first i got blown away about being this only one exposure shot with the D800. but it was to good to be true. stacked might be the way to go with your EPL2.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Damage?

Absolutely! Stumbling around in the dark one will eventually trip and crush their gear.

19. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice images. Very Van Gogh!

20. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Ooohh man! Those images are insane! Howd you do the last image (the one before the tripod photo :rolleyes: ) If you dont mind me asking