Is 150 mm useful for wildlife?

Rasmus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi,

the 150mm f/2 has a tendency to seduce me with the rave reviews and all the overwhelming evidence that it has absolutely amazing optics. However, my main use for long lenses is wildlife shooting and I'm not sure how useful 150 mm is for that. I'm afraid that it will be too short most of the time. I know it turns into a 300/4.0 with the EC-20, but my 500 f/4 turns into a 350/2.8 when I put on the speed booster so the only real benefit of the 150 with EC-20 would be autofocus. On the other hand, having a long F2 is probably a good thing, I have learned that I can never get enough reach or enough speed when using long lenses.

Any thoughts?

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
From my experience using a 40-150mm @ 150, I find generally 150mm a little short for wildlife. Particularly birds and small animals. Might be okay for larger animals or animals that let you get closer to them.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
When I carry my 200mm f4 (that weighs 440g) I often wish for the extra reach of my 300mm f4, but when I carry the 300mm f4 I always wish for the weight of the 200mm

This is from a tour bus in India with a 300mm on APS, so more than 200mm on 43rds

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another @300mm on APS

Probably you get the feeling that for smaller things like birds 300mm even on 43rds requires you to be close. Really close. Like a few meters

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom