1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ireland!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RichDesmond, Sep 4, 2016.

1. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    So, the wife and I are headed over on Thursday, be there for 17 days. Basically doing a CCW loop of the island, starting with 3 days in Dublin (Camden Court hotel) and then 2-3 day stops in Derry, Galway, Dingle and Cork. Music, food, beer and history are our main interests, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. :)

I'll be taking my G3 with the 12-32, 9-18, 20, 45 and a 75mm f1.3 C-mount lens that I quite like. She'll have a ZS100 that we just got (very impressive camera, btw) so that will handle any long zoom needs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Ahh, lucky you. It's now been 8 years since my wife and I did two walking tours in the west of Ireland. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was those walking tours that prompted my search for a lighter, more compact system. The first year I took a DSLR and lenses. Too much to carry. The 2nd year I took a Canon G9. Good little camera, but too frustrating not to have a good eye-level viewfinder. The following year the Panasonic G1 arrived at my camera store, and the rest is history -- I've been using micro-4/3 ever since.

Music: If you're talking traditional Irish music, head out to the smaller towns and villages and ask in the pubs in the afternoon about that evening. They really are local 'jam sessions', and they're great. Often they don't get going until quite late. The players drift in and out and the pints flow. Food: If you look around, you'll find quality food; a seafood restaurant in Cahersiveen (a small town of about 1,300 in County Kerry) was the equal of anything I've had in North America. Of course that was 8 years ago, and things change. Beer: I was more appreciative of the odd Irish whiskey (Black Bush and Redbreast), but I don't recall any beer I didn't like. History: History is everywhere.

Here's a link to a few of my Irish images: Dún Aonghasa (Inis Mór, Ireland) – JNB54

Enjoy yourself.

3. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    John, thanks so much for the info. I'm a fan of Redbreast myself. :) On that restaurant in Cahersiveen, was it called Qc's Townhouse and Seafood?
    Love the shot of the cottage.

4. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thanks, Rich. I just looked an an online picture of QC's and that does indeed look like the place.

Not far from Cahersiveen is Ballycarbery Castle (ruins), and Cahergall Ring Fort (which has been "refurbished" but looks awesome nonetheless).

5. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    Perfect, thank you..

6. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    We're heading over there in October but no real plan. What is the CCW loop?

7. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    CCW = counterclockwise. (or Anti-clockwise if you're from over there. :)) Just a reference to the direction we're going, not an official designation.

8. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    That's funny because I googled it before asking thinking it might be an interesting twist on the visit and Google told me 'Celtic Championship Wrestling' tour. I thought ok but not for me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. wes4390

wes4390 New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2015

You'll be missing one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland if you don't visit the north Antrim coast..... Ballintoy harbour, Giants Causeway, Dunce Castle,Carrick A Rede rope bridge etc...etc.... Check it out