IR on a Dismal Day

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by slothead, Apr 30, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think that until today I always took my IR shots on bright sunny days when the IR from the sun was reflected off of all the foliage. But today was dank and dreary, drizzly and foggy, but I still had new filters to try out. And one tryout was on the Panny 20mm f/1.7. I wanted to try a prime because my two other attempts had both been through zooms and in both cases I saw what I will call hot spots the necessitated extra post-processing to clean up those hot spots.

These are all images that include a beaver dam (but no beaver) or the pond that the beaver created with his dam.

What was interesting about today's shoot was that I couldn't use my normal post-processing methods, and I don't know exactly why. So I ended up taking some guesses on how to process these, and thus they ended up all looking slightly different.

I think the lesson to be learned here (at least for me) is to try to shoot in bright sunlight whenever possible.

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Very cool, I love the colours that you achieved! I really should convert one of my surplus MFT bodies..