IR Interests?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by slothead, Mar 22, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I see very few infrared images and discussion here on the Mu43, and I wonder why that is. I have yet to take an IR image with my Olympii (still waiting for filters), but that doesn't stop me from admiring and playing with IR images.

I know that there are a couple of you out there, because someone has exchanged info with me recently (although I can't remember who).

I would certainly love to see a subforum dedicated to IR and UV (I'm going to start playing with UV also). I work with a lot of IR and UV imagers (sensors/detectors) at NASA/GSFC and there is no reason why I can't mix business with pleasure along these lines (although I have much to learn).

DSC_0513c1a.

photo-5a1.

• Like Like x 5
  2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi Tom,

Your E-M5 should work well with something like an R72 for the IR end of the spectrum. You can get hand holdable with IS type shutter speeds. As to the UV end there is usually very little info while the transmission of lenses, sensor filter stacks, CFA dyes as well as photodiode sensitivity to UV seem to vary a lot.

As to the IR end I have an IR converted G1 that I actually very rarely use these days. Here is a cute demonstration of IR combating scattering from haze:

Visible (GH2):

111228_Xmas_P9000999-XL.

IR (720nm converted G1):

111228_Xmas_P7030991-XL.

Chroma from GH2 shot, Luminance from IR converted G1 shot:

111228_Xmas_P7030991-Edit-XL.

You can see the clouds moved between those two shots, but it is a cute trick.

And finally, the full post processed image from the IR converted G1:

111228_Xmas_P7030992-XL.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

What IR filters do you use and where did you get them?

4. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    Oh yes, as older m43 cameras are dirt cheap now and a conversion is ca. 200 EUROS, I would love to see a raise in IR shots appearing here.

And as there always the same questions asked like:
    - How much is a conversion in country X
    - Where did you get your camera converted in country X
    - Which conversion should I get if I want to achieve X
    - Which lenses will work with IR
    - Which camera is the best for IR conversion
    - How to process and which Software to use...

It would be helpful to have a subforum and put all this information into a sticky. I speak out of experience, as it was a long process of finding all these things out on my own.

Here are a few shots from my 715nm converted E-P2:

Infrared - a set on Flickr

This one just to make you click the link above :)

7794817678_bf8866861b.

cheers,
    dirk

• Like Like x 2
  5. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I will be keeping an eye on this one... Just learned how I can get IR with a non modified EM-5 (just stick a 720 IR filter on it!), and I am now eagerly awaiting spring here, need sun and foliage!

6. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I find a good old 50mm f/1.4 works well for IR shots. The extra aperture makes it easy on a sunny day to shoot with 1/30 - 1/60th of a second shutter speeds.

7. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    To truly image in UV and IR, you really need a full-spectrum modified camera. I have tried UV on the unmodded E-PM1 and it does let a little UV through to the sensor. But you do need a UV-capable lens and UV-pass filter like the Baader U. None of these are cheap, but still doable; just be aware with unmodded cameras, at most you only get the tiny part that gets pass the internal cut filter (ICF) probably 375nm upwards.

I rather like the 665nm for IR as it gives more brilliant colours, especially when you do channel swap. In the unmodded camera you will have to use slow shutter speed, whereas a modded one you can shoot at much faster speeds >1/200s at small apertures.

I actually have an E-PM1 which I had modded by removing the ICF, which allows for both UV and IR imaging. But the down side is that it will only infinity focus with certain lenses e.g Olympus 14-42 ii, which fortunately happens to be a very IR-capable lens. Now I no longer use the E-PM1, as I've modded the E-PL5 which is now my main UV-shooting camera, but also does IR very well.

I would love to see more discussion about UV and IR imaging, as this used to be expensive and for enthusiasts, but mirrorless cameras with their better sensors has changed the ball game. With current advancements and some older technology, you can image in UV at much lower costs and still get excellent results. Problems encountered in the past with focus shift has been negated by liveview focusing, although you still need a UV-capable lens and a UV-pass filter which does not have any leak in the IR range. I still use the Baader U as my reference UV-pass filter, but there are more economical solutions. Perhaps if enough people are interested, I could write an article about UV-imaging from my journey so far in this realm of imaging, having had the help of some other enthusiasts with many more years of experience in this.

BT

• Like Like x 2
  8. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I would be interested. :biggrin:

9. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I have had my "old" G1 modified to Full Spectrum and removed AA filter last summer.
    Unfortunately, the meteo is not with us nowadays,
    but I managed to capture these two shots
    (820nm IR filter in front of the 14-45 Pana kit lens) recently

_1200527-bewerktres.

_1200529-bewerktres.

I think there are a bunch of other shots from this camera posted already here, but you'll need to go through my posts for that ...

C U
    Rafael​

• Like Like x 1
  10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

11. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    And another one... :drinks:

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Gorgeous shots, everyone. I don't pull out my 720nm IR-modified G2 often, but I really enjoy it when I do. I've showed a few landscapes in other threads. Here's one of my boys in IR:

8582256305_ef0aafde90_c.
    P1030326 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  14. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Good question. I presently use a converted Nikon D100 for IR, but am eyeballing one of the two GF1's in this house as a conversion candidate.

15. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    If you are asking me Dave, my only resource right now is my converted Nikon (although I just got some lens filters in the mail yesterday). My Nikon was converted by an outfit like LifePixel (although it wasn't them and I don't remember the company right now).

16. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think enough of us are interested.

I also would be interested in knowing more of the details about your modded E-PL5. I'm not sure I want to convert mine, but I might be swayed.

17. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you replace the ICF with a piece of quartz or fused silica with the same optical thickness then there is minimal focus shift. This does not much for lens dispersion effects.

If you have a preferred lens then select the optical thickness of the quartz to compensate for the lens focus shift and recover infinity focus. One can also compensate by adjusting the back focus distance (much easier with adapter lenses). Native lenses could (maybe) be used with tweaks to back focus but there is less room to work with.

Here is some good technical info on quartz glass.

18. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thought I would pop this one into the thread. Not a Mu43 image, but I still like it.

tilghman_pano_2a2-1_zps934b3e40.

19. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    This makes me want to convert my GH2 to IR :-\

20. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    I've started a thread on UV-imaging already, and am adding to this a section at a time. Perhaps this can be amalgamated later into an article.

I'll share about the modding of the E-PL5 in a separate thread after I complete the thread on UV-imaging. I did consider getting a quartz filter to replace the ICF I removed, but for UV-imaging this is not really necessary.