1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

IR Converted EPL1 - Clove Lake Park

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Swandy, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    IR Converted EPL-1 with Pana 20mm lens.

Unfortunately not a bright sunny day (actually fairly cloudy), but it gave me a chance to play with the new toy and to try to improve my PS RAW techniques on the processing of the IR shots.
    Comments welcome,
    Steve

2. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Good start! Do you have the Photoshop action for adjustable faux conversion? If not grab it off my blog (below). I am seeing a lot of oly L1 conversions now. Which did you go for?

3. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    IR conversion

If you don't mind, can you say who did the IR conversion? I've been thinking of selling some other gear and getting an E-P2, which would mean I could have my E-P1 IR converted. If I can afford it, and can bear for the E-P1 to go under the knife... errr ...screwdriver.

4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Mark. I just used the Channel Mixer and then a layer for Levels and another to play with the hue/saturation. No actions, though I will check out yours. Thanks.
    I had the Standard 720nm filter used. While I was intrigued about the "full spectrum", one of the reasons I did it to the EPL1 is I can use all the 4/3, m4/3, legacy and Lensbaby lenses that I have without having to use all different filter sizes. (Just have to carry around another body when I am not sure what I want to shoot.)
    Regards, Steve

5. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    It was done by Spencer's Camera in Utah. It cost - doing the conversion with the Standard 720nm filter - $325, including shipping. It took about 2 weeks, including shipping. They also have offers on their website for pre-converted cameras, but I got a great deal on the EPL1 and wanted to be able to use the same lenses that I use with the EP2.
    One thought (which I did not think of initially). I was originally going to look for a used EP1 to convert, but someone suggested using an EP2/EPL1 because of the ability to get the EVF. But they thought that shooting IR would be difficult using the LCD - thinking of what happens when you put an IR filter (like the Hoya R72) and everything gets very dark. That is not the case with this type of conversion - the view I get on the LCD is perfect for composition. I have the camera set to RAW+JPEG and Monochrome. So the view on the LCD is a normal B&W view and perfectly viewable for composition. If I don't set it for Monochrome, then it looks like a "normal Red IR" look but still not terribly dark.
    Hope that is understandable and helps,
    Thanks, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. That's a really nice photo. I like the foreground branches (upper & lower) framing the composition. I bet it would look just as good in a non IR shot also.

7. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have probably taken very similar shots from the same location with various cameras over the years, and yep it is still pretty.
    But this outing was to try my new toy.
    Thanks for looking,
    Steve