IQ upgrade

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by caspert79, Dec 8, 2013.

1. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    Hi guys,

Right know I own a E-P1 and G1. However, I'm looking for a significant IQ upgrade.
    3 things are absolutely important to me:
    - price (I don't have an extreme budget)
    - significant IQ improvement
    - an EVF

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Casper

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    One thing to consider is a second-hand E-PL5 with add-on VF2 (also secondhand).

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    How about a G5? That should be in the $300 - $375 area new

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    If you want Olympus, any of the cameras with the newer sensor such as the E-PM2, E-PL5, E-P5 should give you significant improvement in IQ. On the other hand, for Panasonic, although not very small I do agree with Just Jim, the G5 i think is the best bang for the buck at the moment.

5. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    Significant iq differences between a g5 and an e-p5 you think?

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Used em5

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No, EP5 is better, but not massively. Step up to the GX7 and they're basically the same. But the G5 is better than any of the 12mp Olys, like the EP3 or EPL3. If you want a built in viewfinder with good to very good IQ, your best bet is a used EM5 (there are a lot of them at the moment because of people upgrading to the EM1) but it that's still too expensive, a used G5 is hard to beat - not as good IQ but still very good and a LOT cheaper. I just bought and sold a used G5 body for about $200 US and I've seen others in that price range.

-Ray

8. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    Hmm, I see. The G5 is pretty cheap indeed, even when new. The in-built VF is definitely a plus. Certainly an option I will consider!

9. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    If you can't afford a used/refurb EM-5 or EPL-5/EPM-2 + VF-2, then a G5 really is your best option.

10. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    I might save a bit longer to get one of these. In comparisons, the Olympus shows to have the better sensor.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The issue is complex. IQ has many aspects. My e-P1 beats many cameras on colour and "pop" in many situations.
    The G1 has "Dynamic B&W" as a still-unsurpassed Jpeg mode.

What IQ improvements are most important to you and are you willing to sacrifice controls (G!) and/or colour and feel (e-P1)?

12. caspert79

caspert79 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2013
    Netherlands
    Today my new camera arrived.....an E-PL5 :)
    The VF-2 I will buy later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    This is assuming you already have nice glasses to begin with? Usually a significant IQ upgrade can come more from a good lens rather than just getting a new body. Sometimes though getting a newer higher megapixel body can make an IQ downgrade, because not only the new sensor can record more detail and provide cleaner files, it can also record more flaws on your lens (logitudinal and lateral chromatic aberrations plus spherical aberrations), so it's best to ensure your lenses are of good quality first rather than investing into a new body.