IQ of GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Oct 23, 2011.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    This image (not mine, from Flickr) makes me happy that I just ordered a GH2:

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    While there's no doubt that the GH2 is amazing, if you are going by pictures online, you'll quickly realize that it doesn't matter which camera you have. Look at these flickr groups for:
    Nikon D50 Flickr: Nikon D50 Users
    Canon D60 (blast from the past!) Flickr: Canon D60
    Panasonic LX1 Flickr: Panasonic LX1
  3. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Looks very sharp and colorful, but I wonder if it was shot raw first? Some reviewers say the GH2 has mediocre jpegs (though class leading video). I like PENS because the jpegs right out the camera look great. Like today I was in a Ritz camera store looking at the new E-PL3. I popped my memory card into it and took this shot with the 14-42 kit lens right through the store window. I worry, though, that the low profit digital camera division of Olympus might be sold off and the brand could be lost...especially now with the potentially scandalous legal troubles facing the company.
    <a href=";current=EPL3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]
  4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    JPEG's don't really concern me- I always shoot RAW, then process with LR3.5 and perhaps NIK plug-ins like Silver EFX or Color EFX.
  5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Just came back from a moto trip where I took the GH2/14-140 and the vaunted Pentax K-5/DA*16-50 F2.8. Still going through the photos, but on first glance, the GH2 did alright for itself:

(x-posted in Show Motorcycles)
    Dirty Goose by john m flores, on Flickr
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011

I find that many many jpegs need some post-processing, too, regardless of the camera. At a minimum, sharpening needs to reflect the final use (print vs. display) and size of the image, so I don't want to bake the final sharpening into my out-of-camera file. Shooting raw just gives me so much more control and flexibility it's worth the little bit of extra work. Especially since LR make the entire process so easy it's no harder to work with raw than with jpegs.