1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IQ & Gear Obsession - Do you actually use the camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys .
    Its my turn to rant:wink:
    Now for the last few days , I was just wondering how much obsessed we have become when it comes to IQ and gear. Numerous threads , numerous useless reviews of cameras comparing X with Y and Z etc etc and I can see that this all hardly makes anyone a better photographer . Our talent and knowledge seldom enhances more than lenses and camera bodies in Cupboard. I feel sick the moment I see words like -IQ term at base ISO or below 1600 or above 3200 etc etc . I also suffer from GAS and had pixled peeped in the past but learnt a lession quickly that all cameras take great pics and technology will keep on changing at a faster speeds and my needs dont that fastly . I learnt that my OMD is a capable camera but at the same time my two year old EPL2 is nothing less than capable . IMHO , time has come when we need to go out and shoot rather than spend endless hours in front of computer surfing forums and reading paid reviews which hardly tell something more than what you alreay know i.e ALL modern cameras are great and fun to use :smile: This applies on me as well.
    Ooops..too long? Okay here I stop :smile:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 8
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    So does this mean you'll stop bashing NEX?

3. Bhupinder2002

Hahahahaah u can say that. I never said NEX series are bad cameras . It was all about lenses .. But I think yes .. Yes there are plenty of happy NEX users , so why should I question or doubt their happiness?

4. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    Here we go again. I think someone has a grudge. Trying to make something out of nothing.

Prior to purchasing the EPL1 back in the summer, all I ever owned was a point and shoot. I've spent a great deal of time looking at reviews and at web sites where you could compare pictures from one camera to another. One thing that popped out on the pic comparisons was I never could see that much difference in the pictures no matter what cameras I compared. I did not look at all, but the ones I did look at I could not see the difference.

I am now leaning toward the conclusion that you just stated. That all modern cameras are capable. Some will have greater features and versatility, but within their common range all cameras can compete with the best. I emphasize the word "leaning" because I am too new to photography to really speak with any expertise.

Since the pictures looked so similar, that is the only conclusion I can come to. Either that or my eyes are bad and that is a distinct possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    That's easy for you to say :mad::biggrin:. Here in The Netherlands it's cold and dark after work hours, so I don't go out, but stay inside and shoot my camera and lens collection.

On a somewhat more serious note, I sometimes feel oversaturated as well by all the gear talk. And if I'm completely honest, my GH2 and lenses do almost everything right that I want to do right now so I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a G5 (held it in a store last Saturday), Panny 35-100/2.8, GH3 (not pre-ordered that is), etc. etc. So in such times I simply ignore the gear talk and look at other people's pics to either get inspired or boost my confidence as a photographer (however, I still don't feel I'm that talented, but I like the gear too much to stop having photography as a hobby :redface:).

Have faith, you will recover from your present condition and in due time you will talk and think a lot again about having/buying/selling/evaluating gear. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    With the current advancement in technology one can definitely waste a lot of money on new gear, only to upgrade yearly. I have refrained from upgrading bodies for 18 months and will sit and wait to see what is on the horizon.

The large majority of cameras now are wonderful tools and capable of most tasks. I was standing next to a pro the other day at a charity event and he had 2 full frames and a flash battery pack attached to his leg. Poor guy could hardly walk and I am sure he had back ache after several hours. At one point he was using an iPhone for snapshots. I asked him why; his reply was that he was tired and the iPhone did not need any adjustments and just took reasonable photos...

I felt rather good after that and started to ask him a few questions about his gear. Impressive list of lenses all high quality F2.8 zooms and high end FF bodies. He then told me that he rarely uses this equipment now because he mostly uses medium format gear. I did not feel that great after hearing that:)

On a side note, he was full of praise for the latest Fuji X Pro and X-E1. His brother is also a Professional and has unloaded all of his Leica gear in favour of the latest Fuji system. He is envious of his brother, as his brother can make the occasional change to the Fuji JPGs and that is enough with the Fuji system, where as with his gear he needs to shoot RAW and PP for hours to achieve the results expected.

Great times ahead for all enthusiasts. My biggest concern is to over commit into one system. This is the main reason I am holding off any major purchases and learning to achieve better results with what I currently have.

8. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

My first MFT lens was an Oly 14-42 I bought cheap on Craigslist. Mated to the cheap but new EPL-1 I recently got from Cameta, they produce rather nice images.

I say that there are no "bad" cameras or lenses these days - most are good. There ARE exceptional ones, at a price. I think I'll wait until I'm a much better photographer before I'll pay that premium price.

9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    A lot of us are gear heads and photographers and it's interesting to read and comment on new equipment. While the latest model may not improve your composition or technique per se improved ergonomics and a better view finder with more easy to interpret info may assist.
    You can never go wrong with good glass and I'm always interested in what new lenses are offering, especially wrt speed and IQ and a good quality fast lens can definitely bring benefits.
    However I do agree the sometimes nit picking that this body is better than that because it has incremental improvements (that while apparent under close scrutiny don't really carry over much in the real world) gets tiresome.
    I base my upgrades and new purchases on whether the new piece of gear will offer me something that will benefit my photography either from an ergonomic, performance or IQ pov.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think that unless you have special needs, most current cameras are better than most photographers. But that doesn't mean there aren't legitimate differences that do matter in some cases. If you really shoot available light a lot, it probably makes sense to upgrade from the 12MP Panasonic sensor cameras (assuming cost isn't an issue). If you shoot a lot of action sports, then some cameras clearly AF better than others. If you do a lot of posed, multi-flash shooting, then a camera with built-in wireless remote flash support is probably a worthwhile investment. And so on.

But for the vast majority of us who display photographs on a monitor, or make prints of up to 13x19, or even 16x20, it's hard to complain about the IQ from any of today's current cameras. Lenses will probably make a bigger difference for most of us than bodies.

Which brings up another point: the nit-picking about which lens is sharper than another often reaches absurd levels, too. None of the m43 lenses are bad. Most are quite good, and with proper sharpening (in camera or in post) are capable of producing excellent images when viewed as images, and not as pixels.

11. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    I am a total gear head, but I also know how to use it.

Whats wrong with wanting the best equipment?

I hear from time to time "give an amature a D4 and a pro a iPhone and the pro will get better results"

at the same time, you NEVER see a pro using an iPhone for a paid shoot unless they are trying to prove a point, afterwards they put the iphone back down and go back to the D4 for a reason.

The point of having the best equipment possible is to "get the camera out of the way" so you can focus on composition and results.

Cameras are constantly improving, sometimes a little, somtimes a lot. Anybody who makes thier income from photography wants to be on the cutting edge with the best gear they can get in order to make sure the camera does not get in the way of getting the shot.

12. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    for some people maybe, for some, just because they can :smile:

as for me, I have the best equipment I can afford that can deliver the realistic results I am expecting

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the best. Especially if you can take advantage of it.

I think the point was that, for most amateurs especially, changing the camera isn't likely to make one's photographs significantly better. Many of us seem to chase new gear as a solution to our photographic "problems", when the real need is to learn more about photography: composition, light, when to expose for shadows or highlights, how shutter speeds and apertures affect your images, etc.; and processing: when and how to sharpen, white balance, contrast and saturation, and so on.

• Like Like x 4
  14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    My impression is that if you are making money from your photography then you are less likely to jump from model to model or system to system.

the camera and equipment are a business expense, so the money spent on that, is money that isn't paying your mortgage or putting food on your table.

Also the time researching and learning 'new' stuff is time where you could be actually earning money.

I would reckon that most professionals are pretty conservative in their purchasing patterns, keeping bodies for at least a few years in order to write off the costs.

K

• Like Like x 3
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Agree 100%. Gear that better suits me means fewer missed shots, fewer out-of-focus shots, less work postprocessing around lens/camera flaws, and generally more satisfaction with the output. All of which is worth spending a little more. Granted, if all you ever do is talk about gear, you're missing something, but few people fit into that category.

I will say that the happier I am with my gear, the less inclined I am to go on forums and post about it!

16. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I should probably keep my mouth shut ...

BUT: I would like to see more picture threads and I admit I skip most of the gear threads however I am quite a gear-head in my own subdued way. When the EM5 came out and it became clear what it's capabilities were I had to have one.

The new IBIS and the improved dynamic range of the camera are, to me at least, fantastic improvements and DO make me a better photographer. I won't be tempted to upgrade for at least a couple years. I like all the controls of the new panny but I'm not sure I would want to put up with the increased size. But if Oly goes that way and also keeps everything now present in the EM5 I will probably jump on it. If they give us real focus peaking that will be tempting as well.

Yes gear 'obsession' is not beneficial to one's photography but it is very difficult to not get carried away given the pace of innovation these days. :smile:

17. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Bhupinder! In response to your 'too long' post I have a 'much too long' reply :wink:.

For me it's about learning a new system. I pretty much had my Nikon gear nailed. I moved to :43: not to improve my photography (alas, I don't think there's much chance of that even if Henri Cartier-Bresson, Ansel Adams, and Margaret Bourke-White all return to give me lessons), but rather to lower the weight of the gear. I was shooting fewer images each month because the weight of the Nikon gear made it difficult to carry. (Yes, I will concede that I have gotten old, and somewhat unwilling to make myself uncomfortable :wink:).

I acquired an E-PL1 with the two kit lenses as a test of :43:, having heard much about it. (My first serious SLR was an Olympus Pen FT, and I had some faith that Olympus could pull off a lightweight product). The E-PL1 was a proof-of-concept; the results were fine but the ergonomics of the camera and the (then available) lenses did not immediately suggest that moving from Nikon was feasible.

Thus the reading, researching, querying members of this forum; when the OM-D was released I was, after the interminable demand/supply issues were resolved, able to test one and decided that while it was not as capable as a D300 it would meet or exceed my requirements. (The D300 is simply leagues ahead of the OM-D when it comes to tracking focus on fast moving objects, and the ergonomics are better - there's more room on the Nikon body to place the controls).

My ongoing task is to settle on a set of lenses that will fulfill my requirements. Nikon has the 'holy trinity' of fast, heavy, expensive zooms (12-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8) that will get one through most shooting conditions. Of course they have the long range gear for birding and such, and macro gear for backyard insect imaging. I know (for the most part) those lenses, know their capabilities, know which ones I would truly use and which ones would end up sitting unused.

I do not have that knowledge with :43: lenses; in addition my shooting style has changed (I no longer shoot fast moving indoor/outdoor sporting events, nor will I ever agree to shoot another wedding), and I am unwilling to spend large amounts of Yankee dollars in experimenting. So a large part of reading the 'numerous threads' for me is to gain perspective from those who have gone before me. For instance, the thread on the Samyang UWA images convinced me that the lens was one that would lend itself to my shooting requirements (and at a reasonable price).

The thread on faux 'focus peaking' did indeed improve my keeper rate - the number of test shots I've made with a Nikon 50mm 1.8 on the OM-D indicate that manual focusing of legacy lenses is doable (for me, YMMV).

I don't have a tremendous amount of gear lust left in me (other than a totally unreasonable, unquenchable desire to acquire a Fuji X-100 - which would most likely see very little use. I'm having a hard time keeping my mouse pointer off of the "buy" button).

I'm not shooting less because of the time I spend learning :43:, but the shooting that I'm doing is becoming more productive.

I've no issue with folks who want to constantly try new gear, or make 200% crops to check out sharpness, or even with those who proselytize ad nauseum about one system or another to the exclusion of all else. I figure those who want to be out shooting are out shooting.

I learn quite a bit from folks who constantly invest (a misleading term if there ever was one) in new gear and report their findings back to the rest of us, and I thank those who make the effort to perform the 200% crops that I know I will never do, showing me perhaps which gear to avoid or which gear might lend itself to my shooting requirements.

This is, by far, the best "camera club" that I have ever been part of, and I truly appreciate the opportunity to learn so much from so many at such a low cost.

Best regards,

Jim

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Of course, this is a photography forum and will have a disproportionate amount of gear talk. This is the only place many of us can really talk about gear, having long since alienated most of our friends and family with any mention of lenses, etc. We do pretty well with image threads here. I personally would like to see a bit more discussion of post-processing techniques, since some of you are clearly much better than I.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Bhupinder2002

Hi Kevin .. I fully agree with you.
    Cheers

20. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Just when I was combing the Internet for gear, along comes this thread. Nice way to burst my bubble.

America won't thank you - Unle Sam wants me to spend.

:tongue:

• Like Like x 1