iPhoto

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BillN, Mar 21, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I really like this app

just one question - is it possible to crop to any size without maintaining an (original) aspect ratio? on the fly as it were

It only seems possible to crop at the designated sizes in the drop down list, and the custom function seems not too user friendly

I've not explained that well - what I want to do is to effectively crop as you can in photoshop

(just figured it out - so no problem now)

Thanks

2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    You can move the corners and edges independently by dragging them or you can chose an aspect ratio like in photoshop on the bottom of the list under custom.

I shoot RAW + JPG. I like to dump the JPGs into iphoto but keep RAW files in a separate folder for LR or Bridge/PS. RAW files can really bog down iphoto after a while.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I like iPhoto too. However, I recently started using Aperture now for these mu43 shots.

iPhoto is a great program and so easy to use.

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

I like iphoto too Bill. I use it as my main image editor because it is in a format that is easy to understand. But there is one little quirk i should bring to your attention because it confused me for awhile. Its when you want to delete photos that are in the iphoto trash. I used to delete the photos in the trash by selecting them all and then the usual 'command delete' but alas i used to find the photos all back in the albums from where they first came! I finally found that to delete photos in the iphoto trash, you have to click on the 'iphoto' in the menu bar at right up the top lefthand corner and then move down and select 'delete iphoto trash'.

And that deletes your deleted photos properly.:smile:

icon

• Like Like x 2
  5. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Icon

Thanks - I am new to the mac - plus I have the small keyboard with no delete key

I did find that when I deleted them, (i.e. trashed them from iphoto - that they are still in the folders

does iphoto used "copied" originals - leaving the originals "were they came from"

another problem I have is I cannot get into the apps - with the PC I can drill down into the files within each app - I am still trying to find out if I can do this with the Mac

to give you an example - where are the itunes individual tracks? - normally I would find these on my PC in a folder within the apps - same goes with any app - i cannot look what is in there - can I??
    Are there any hidden files on the Mac?

I cannot seeing me giving up the PC - the iMac is wonderful - but I need both machines

Cheers

6. Iconindustries

Bill, i think iphoto does keep the originals in the case if you edit a image. I know you can revert back to the original if you wanted too. But i'm not 100 percent sure in the case if you delete a photo whether there is another copy.
    Others might be able to help with that scenario.

In the case where you would like to find the source file, it is very easy. Probably the easiest way is for you to click on the finder (happy face icon in the dock) and then when the window opens you will see on the left hand side a number of things. I have mine set up so i have what i want to see. So you will have 'Applications' "movies' 'music' "pictures" "documents" ect. This is where you can access the actual file. If you wanted to access a music track click on music, it will open and then you will see a few folders. The one you want is 'itunes' click on it and then select the folder titled 'itunes music'. And there is all your music files.

I think images are a little different. When i click on 'pictures' and select iphoto library, iphoto opens up.

Hope that helps

icon

• Like Like x 2
  7. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks icon - just done it - great

I have never been a fan of itunes, (versus windows media player), but it's probably me not the app

one of the things I find about the Apple is that it is "fun"

Thanks again -

8. Iconindustries

Bill, i live in itunes. I have 14.9 days of music (5080) songs!!
    I think you're right, Macs are fun. Try out photo booth and fiddle with effects and you'll get some laughs i assure you. Very entertaining to show visitors when they come over!

icon