1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

iPhoto, Elements & iPad - Workflow help?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Kaze, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Hi all

I'm currently working on a Mac using the latest version of iPhoto & Elements 10 to work with my images and then syncing to the iPad for viewing. I shoot in raw on an E-PL2 and sync to the Mac via the supplied cable.

My aim is to organise all my images and edit in Elements and the upload the best images into iPhoto for viewing & for syncing with my iPad, currently this is a slow and tedious manual process, any workflow tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Initially I uploaded straight into iPhoto, but then couldn't open the files for editing in Elements without first uploading all iPhoto images into Elements. So now I upload directly into Elements, edit the photos in raw, but as the raw edit changes don't show when I copy the files back into iPhoto, I then need to individually save each file as a Jpeg and then copy across. There's got to be a faster and easier way to do this.... Help please!?!

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Have you considered investing in Aperture or Lightroom and retiring iPhoto? That's been a piece of advice I've seen here more than once.

I have Lightroom (MacOS version), having just recently moved from a PC to and iMac. Workflow is: download via Lightroom; initial touch-up in Lightroom (usually enough capability there not to have to go further); fine-tune in Elements 9 or CS5.

With respect to the catalog, Lightroom takes care of the housekeeping for me. I don't use the Elements Organizer or Adobe Bridge; LR does all I need.

Aperture, I believe, has similar features. I started with Lightroom and stuck with it, not because it's better but because that was my comfort zone.

3. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    In iPhoto. Preferences/Advanced/Edit Photos: then navigate to Elements. On the photo right click and choose Edit in External Editor.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Aperture is only $79 in the App Store. It will organize (either in it's own database or in the regular file system), convert(if you're shooting raw), do most adjustments, use Elements as an external editor, export in whatever format and quality you need and import your iPhoto library.

It's raw conversion looks very much like Oly's in camera jpegs.

Fred

5. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks Sphexx, for some reason this doesn't work for me, which is why I started to use the Elements organiser, when I click an image in iPhoto and select edit in external editor then it opens Elements editor programme but not the image, not sure why,it used to work in older versions of Elements

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks, that's very helpful, I've had a look at both, Apertures a lot cheaper so I'll do my homework and if they're similar in capability will probably go for this one

7. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks Fred, I've just downloaded the free trial of Aperture so I'll have a play about with it

8. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Found out what my syncing problem was, just in case anyone else surfers with the same issue, I found this on the Adobe site:

Elements 10: Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Support Files/Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor
    Note: Do not select the application file that has the same name as the parent folder, this file is the Welcome Screen launcher.

So now I can open the images directly into Elements :)

Also, many thanks for the tips on Aperture, I'm 3 days into the trial and am loving it do far, it's considerably speeding up my workflow :)