iphoto doesn't support raw olympus files?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by orflo, Sep 21, 2014.

1. orflo

orflo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Frank
    Hi,
    I just bought a second-hand oly em1, and I'm very happy about it! Image quality is very good, the light weight, and all the other things that you probably already know...:biggrin:But there's a small problem, not oly, but my mac bookpro, iphoto doesn't import raw pictures from the camera...I read that it does do so on 10.9, but I still have a 10.7.5, and I see no other reason to upgrade..I tried Olympus viewer 3, which gives amazing results, but it's too slow, sadly enough :frown:. Darktable gives good results as well, is a bit faster, but I need a place to stock these raw pictures, and organise them in albums. Is there any solution for this, or is some patience necessary and do I have to wait and hope that the new apple 'photos' will take these files? In the past I tried pixa and lyn on my old Nikon gear, but they didn't give me the real good feeling (which oly viewer 3 does, except for the slow speed).

2. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    iPhoto uses the Mac OS to read the Raw files. I would assume you are correct that you need 10.9. If your laptop can handle 10.9 I would say as it's free, why not upgrade? Also, the new photos app will I would guess, almost certainly require OSX version 10.10

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How about Lightroom?

--Ken

4. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I suspect an OS upgrade is likely the safest route to get what you are looking for, and if it's free, that sounds like a win for you.

But if that is out of the question, and free appeals to you, you might want to look at XnViewMp (not to be confused with 'mere' XnView - Mp stands for . . . multiplatform? and claims Mac and Linux support). I've been playing with the Windows version and it's pretty fast and it's a pretty good image browser based photo organizer. While it is 'raw aware', it can not develop a raw photo. (you can view your raw images, but you can't do development)

If you have a favorite editor or raw developer, you can set XNVMP up to send a selected photo to that app with a right click. I should think teaming XNVMP up with the OpenSource raw developer/Editor Lightzone would make a pretty good free combination. I've also experienced some nice things with Zoner Photo Studio as an editor as well (Zoner has a basic built in organizer too, but I'm not impressed with it)

XnViewMp is free, and its a fairly decent browser/organizer. It isn't as good as ACDSee Pro 7, so I am unlikely to switch. (BTW, from everything I've read, the mac version (V3) of ACDSee is not very good. Probably best to avoid.)

5. orflo

orflo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Frank
    Thanks for the replies!
    I read some negative stories about upgrading to Mavericks, so I have to reconsider that..I didn't know that XnViewMp, I'll have a look at that, thanks for showing the way!
    Iphoto isn't too bad (except for refusing the raw files in older mac versions of course), but two things aren't good, first it doubles the pictures when they are uploaded, and if you have quite some pictures, it becomes slower as well...But I like the organiser, the editor however is too limited. So, up to XNVMP and see what that brings!