1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

iPhoto and my first Mac woe -- HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Armanius, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    As some of you know, I finally saw the light and got my first Mac, an 11" MBA.

Problem ... I imported photos into iPhoto. Whenever I am on a web application/browser and try to access the photo (i.e. uploading photos to "My Album" in SeriousCompacts.com), I get as far as the iPhoto library. When I click on the iPhoto library icon, instead of showing me the individual photos in the library for me to choose from, the computer thinks that the iPhoto library is the "photo" that I want to upload. Obviously that doesn't work!

The only workaround I can see is to copy the photos in the library by first opening the iPhoto application, and then pasting it in the "Pictures" folder.

Is there a better solution to the inconvenience that I am describing?

On a lighter note, is there a way to resize the photos in iPhoto?

Thanks!!!

2. eltoshan

eltoshan New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2011
    Right click on the iPhoto library in Finder, then click on show package contents, there you should see the folders. You can make an Alias (shortcut in Windows speak) on your desktop or something that links to the iPhoto folders.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey mate what you have to do is select the Images in iPhoto you want and then export them. The Export function is up in 'file' and when the export dialogue box comes up you then can select what file type to export as eg. Jpeg, PSD ect. Under that is where you can select the quality, so low medium high ect. Press export and then you will have the prompt box asking where would you like the images to be put.

I'm pretty sure this is the only way to get the edited images out of iPhoto in full quality. Dragging them out will work but i'm not 100 percent sure if that is the final edited image thats's taken out- in know in Aperture it isn't.

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    It seems that each photo in iPhoto is in its own subfolders. There are about 5-6 layers of folders before I get to the actual JPG file. The JPGs aren't all contained in just one folder (or subfolder) that I could just create a shortcut to. :frown:

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks, but this puts me back in more or less the same position of having to copy photos out of iPhoto into another folder before I can access the photos for the purposes of uploading. :frown:

6. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Dennis
    If you know how the iPhoto Library is organized internally. (It may change from release to release and assuming it's the same as mine)

1. Right click (or shift-control-click) on the iPhoto Library icon from the Finder and select the "Show Package Contents" menu item. This should bring up another window with the iPhoto Library contents.

2. Select the Masters folder and from the File menu select the "Make Alias" menu item (Command L). This should create an alias of this folder called "Masters alias".

3. Drag this alias to your Desktop. When you are prompted to upload the folder, navigate through this alias instead of the iPhoto Library.

To resize the photos for viewing, there is a zoom slider at the bottom of the window. To make the file smaller for exporting:

1. Select the picture you want to resize.
    2. From the File menu, select Export...
    3. Select: Kind = JPEG, JPEG Quality: Small or Medium Size: Small or Medium
    4. Click on Export and the file will be smaller.

It doesn't tell you what the final size will be but with trial and error, you should be able to get the size vs. image quality you want.

I highly recommend getting LightRoom or Aperture if you want to do more than the basic storing and editing of photos.

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks Dennis. But like I was telling Eltonshan, the Masters folder then has a 2011 subfolder, plus another 2 to 3 layers of subfolders. Each photo is then contained in its own subfolder, as opposed to one subfolder with all the photos.

I just find it strange that the photos are organized that way in iPhoto, making non-iPhoto access to the photos very difficult. Maybe I'm still thinking in terms of Windows way too much ...

8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Iphoto sucks in that regard. The way it stores photos behind the scenes is not user friendly. It's interface almost is. What I do is create an album in iphoto called mu43 (or whatever you want to call it- this is your export album), them drop the ones I want to upload in there. Then I export them to a desktop folder - the neat thing is that export allows you to resize these in a batch (which you need to do to upload them to the site -max 1500 pixels??) Then import as usual. It's not straight forward but as you need to resize them, this works well enough.

9. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don

The better solution is to move beyond iPhoto. NOW.

Armanius...honestly, my friend, as a complete and total Mac-a-holic, dating back to 1984!, I have to say, that I NEVER use iPhoto. Yes, it's got some cool-a-mundo, and neato features. And it gets better with every iteration. But still, that's where it all ends; and quite abruptly for me.

The Mac is an amazing and totally top shelf choice in computing. But as a photographer that shoots and edits daily, and as a working professional photographer, I would urge you to strongly consider LightRoom (or Aperture) and Photoshop for your photo work. iPhoto is so limiting, so proprietary, and feels so incredibly constrained and hobbiest-oriented, that I have never felt comfortable working with it and I doubt that I ever will. If your photo endeavors are as seriously oriented as I believe them to be, I encourage you to set iPhoto aside.

Your choice in computer platforms is top shelf, but I would so totally ditch iPhoto and move directly to LightRoom, right off the bat, and never look back. Just one guy's opinion... take from it what you will. Other's will surely differ and chime in, for sure.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I don't usually use iPhoto, but when I do, I simply drag the picture from the iPhoto window to the browser to upload it...

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'd get Aperture. It uses the same "library" structure if you want it to, but you can also organize your photos however you want outside of the library and have aperture reference them. If you do ANY work on them, though, you're gonna want to export them prior to upload, because the non-destructive editing means the changes are never reflected in the original file. But aperture is so overwhelmingly more powerful,, flexible, and useful than iPhoto it's not even funny. With all of the gear you have and your attention to IQ, you really shouldn't be using iphoto as your primary organizing OR processing program. I think Aperture is something like $80 in the app store. And it uses the same familiar Mac conventions as other apple software. And is a great front end for editing plugins like the Nik ot Topaz stuff.

-Ray

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I recently migrated from Windows to Mac and I decided to bring my old friends (Lightroom 3, Photoshop Elements 9, and Photoshop CS5) with me for comfort. So far, so good; all are playing well together and the Nik and Topaz plug-ins install easily and run very well.

I'm steering clear of iPhoto and see no compelling reason to switch to Aperture; my understanding is that Aperture and Lightroom are mutually exclusive. Way too far down the road with Lightroom (early adopter) to consider a switch. But I hear great things about Aperture so if you haven't made a choice it should be given strong consideration.

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks to everyone for the pointers and help. I actually use Lightroom on my Windows desktop, and the plan was to use LR in the MBA as well. But I haven't done it yet. It seems that if I do not pay for another LR license, the only free and legal way that I can use LR on my MBA is to deactivate the LR license on my Windows desktop. Given that I do all my PP on the desktop, I can't do the port yet. What I'll likely do is get an iMac eventually and run LR on the iMac. And then perhaps get an extra license for the MBA.

Thanks everyone!

14. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I only use Lightroom on my desktop, but I understood that the license for Lightroom allows installation on two computers (not used at the same time) and is multiplatform: those two can be a mix of Mac and Windows.

Adobe - Photoshop Lightroom 3: FAQ

How many computers are covered by a single license of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3?

Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the software on the second computer is not used at the same time as the software on the primary computer. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.

15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    That's awesome!!! Woohoo!! Thanks for digging that up!

16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Just installed it on my MBA. Entered the serial numbers and running smoothly! Thank you!!

BTW, is it possible to use LR in full screen without part of the screen being used up by the app dock at the bottom of the screen? I'm running LR3.4 on OS Lion on my MBA 2011.

Thanks!!!

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The app dock is customizable. You can choose a setting whereby the dock is out of view but will pop up, when desired, by moving the cursor to the bottom of the screen.

18. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I use Bridge and Photoshop. iPhoto was obviously designed by a committee of morons. :mad:

19. DiskMan101

DiskMan101 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Kansas City
    Apple actually allows it's users to upload somewhere other than iTunes?

20. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Or either side. Think about it. :rolleyes: