IPhone vs PL15

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by tkbslc, May 2, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just for fun, since I realized they are the same focal length. iPhone 5s vs GX7+PL15. Both edited in VSCO to match.

image. image.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Obvious and clear difference with the 15, but it also shows why the typical person out there is perfectly happy to snap away with their phone and post the shot to FB or wherever or email it off to Grandma.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    PL 15 is noticeably better, but the iPhone isn't bad. I decided to spend a few months focusing on a similar FL (28) and really learning to previsualize it since I like shooting with my iPhone, and will sometimes use it as visual scratch pad for composition and framing (then get the shot with a similar FL). I think 28-30 in 4:3 might be the new "standard" since we see so many smartphone images these days. As time goes on, I think it will feel like the natural photographic perspective for many many people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tkbslc

And if you view FB on the phone like so many do, the difference is very subtle. 4-5" screens are a pretty good equalizer

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep. You made me pull it up on my phone. The difference is about half of what I see on my monitor.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    agree, and if you photograph something at a greater distance the DoF difference will vanish too

7. tkbslc

Round 2 - very dark bedroom image. image.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Indeed high ISO is where the phone will die

... and telephoto :)

9. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    True, but on the flip side, low iso the iPhone is extremely good I think anyway.

10. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I think that's what I was saying in the post before the low ISO post ...

• Like Like x 1