1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

iPhone/Smartphones Killing Camera Shops!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, Nov 8, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I talked with my favorite camera store today in Idaho.. and was just chatting with them and I asked.. (as a business guy) how is business..? they said ... well slowing down.. the camera phones like iPhone 4Gs, Blackberry etc are digging into our Compact Point and Shoot market BIG TIME.. and, the dSLR market is slowing down as well, but the m4/3 mini stuff is doing well.. we can't get enough from the manufactures.. oh my.. what is your take on that? they also said that as soon as a Oly 45/1.8 hits the shelf.. it was gone in no time. what are your thoughts on this?

2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The only compact camera I would buy is one of the Sony ones with a backlit sensor. They produce some rpetty good pictures in a nice small packages. Beyond that, Point and SHoot cameras are kind of worthless now. Poeple just want low resolution snapshots for hte most part, and the 8MP iPhone 4S is more than good enough for that. You don't even need a zoom lens at that resolution, you can just crop out a 1mp from the center of the frame and it's good enough for facebook or a 4x6 print.

Within a couple of years, when we see another bit of a leap in smartphone camera quality, p;oint and shoots will be almost extinct. The only survivors will be things like the TOUGH cameras that you use for sports. Otherwise, they just don't serve much purpose. Anyone who really cares about quality is getting SLRs and mirrorless.

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    MrDoug, might that be Idaho Camera? I bought a 12mm lens from them not too long ago, and they delivered very quickly. First time I bought camera gear from other than Amazon/B&H/Adorama/Samys, but they had it in stock.

Back to topic, when you hear about stuff like this, I wonder whether Nikon really knew what they were doing and was right after all with the 1 series mirrorless cameras. Most folks don't care about IQ, and are more interested in capturing the moment. With the 60fps continuous shooting that's available, it should be difficult to NOT capture a key moment such as when a baby breaks out a smile.

How much longer before the functionality of video and cameras completely blend together, and we can select high quality images from among hundreds of clips taken on a miniature camcorder built-in to a smartphone?

4. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Remember when a PDA was the hot item?? and was then incorporated into phones??? Its inevitable that camera/video will be improved and added to smart phones.

5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, Idaho Camera.. good company.. as far as Video goes I do not know anything. LOL.. if my Cams from Oly and Panny had no Video option, I would be a happy camper.. I leave that up to my wife with her Cheap Sony Vid cam.. LOL

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    In my local brick & mortar store, MFT sales are steady...nothing bad, nothing spectacular....

7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, PDA.. Personal Digital Assistant.. wow.. that was first started with PALM I think? .. LOL. I remember PDA well.. :smile:

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Waaaay to early to tell one way or the other with Nikon.

Samsung has been around longer with a mirrorless, interchangeable, small bodied APS-C sensor based model too. How are they doing?

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I dont think customers know what they want..but perhaps thats due to varied and unpredictable usage patterns. People love tiny compacts and cell cameras, but as soon as they print them out or view on a big screen they realize it often looks bad. But for those that move up, honestly how many of em print out the real big shots that they blow up and put on their wall. Not to mention the portability and weight of the dslrs. Doesnt surprise me that mirrorless is doing well as a compromise but i think the total camera market $ will only shrink..

Though i suppose i shouldnt underestimate the Gear lust of average folks.

10. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I think Samsung sales were down in last 3-4 quarters as well, but I think the TV sales had the biggest factor in the down.. same with Panasonic.. TV sales for both Samsung and Panasonic are in the down mode.. as far as OLYMPUS.. what else do they make besides cameras.? LOL I really don't know.. I kinda read the paper in the morning.. see this and that.. but I do know Panasonic and Samsung overall sales are in the toilet in the last yr or so.. LOL.. crazy here but not stupid.. LOL
    primarily LCD, LED and HD TV's which were hugh 2-5 yrs ago and now have dropped in sales BIG TIME..

11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i think most people have upgraded by now that are going to

12. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Except for people like me who are too busy spending money on a new camera system. :smile:

If I can find a bargain, I may pick up a 60" soon to replace my antiquated HD-ready 52" projection screen TV.

Then again, that PL25 looks awfully nice, and I could use an ultrawide zoom and a super telezoom too.

13. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm still waiting for a phone the Sony 16MP cell phone sensor. It was announced a year ago. Still no phone with it.

14. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    The simple fact is, the iPhone 4 really was a game changer for photography. Trying to convince yourself otherwise is just silly. For 99.9% of the images that 99% of people take for social media or storing on your computer to capture a spontanous moment or minor event.. it is extremely well suited to the task. The cam in the phone is simply stellar and easily rivals most sub $300 P&S.

Where it does faulter is in low light obviously, but most people don't really care..

Other then the Canon S95.. I don't really see ANY camera an average consumer should buy if they have an iPHone 4/4s... (non dSLR crowd). the cam in the blackberry is horrible when compared to the iPhone (I have both a iPHone 4 - wife; and a Blackberry Bold - me).

Just being realistic, the market for enthusiasts are shrinking where a higher quality camera is demanded.. and will continue to do so. I find people asking to "borrow" my EP2 vs. wanting to buy such a setup as they don't see the value in it if they are only going to use it a couple of times a year for themselves.

Video is really where having a dedicated cam for that makes more sense for families as the handling, built in significant zoom, mic and IS really is an advantage.

I'm actually surprised that sooooo many pepole are still buying crappy useless P&S that dominate B&M stores when camera phone are usually as good if not better in most cases.

I personally feel bricks and mortar stores are kind of shooting themselves in the foot by not evolving fast enough to understand that by selling subquality products like horrible P&S where consumers are why would bI buy a standalone when my phone is good enough! They should get rid of all the crap on their shelves, keep only products that are very much better then camera phone and focus on the higher end market and downsize their operations and inventory.

15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The demise of camera shops started long before decent cameras showed up in phones. I think it started when cameras became consumer electronics that are sold by Best Buy and Walmart etc.

16. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Ah... what? I have to respectfully disagree with your statement. The iphone 4/4s cameras are good for cell phone cameras. But they still are just cell phone cameras. Any $100 P&S camera will blow it out of the water. A $300 P&S would pummel it about the head and shoulders mercilessly.

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The simple (and sad) fact is that most people don't care about IQ. Computers, smartphones and digital frames have eliminated the need for prints. It's now left to photography buffs and professionals to purchase cameras. Soccer moms tired of carrying bulky DSLR's can get pics with their phones. At the cost of many of these phones (probably need to find a new name, phones are supposed to be about making calls:smile:) folks don't see the need to spend the extra dollars on a dedicated camera. If all you want to do is share on Facebook a camera phone is sufficient. :rolleyes:

18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Depends on your criteria.. I'm not talking about studio setup tests.. online pro reviews, but real world application and real world consumer use of the cameras with real world application of how the images are being shared..

For a 4x6 or 5x7 print.. doubt it highly. When is the last time you have walked into anyones home who has an 8x10 printed from a P&S.. let alone a 11x17 or larger etc.

For onscreen view (not 100% - 200% pixel peaping) where the image is about 800x600 or 1280 x 760 which isn't how most images are emailed or shared. Highly doubt its worth buying a dedicated P&S..

In my entire circle of friends, NOT 1 even knows what RAW is .. let alone it's advantage.. how to do the conversions etc. 95%+ dont even auto levels etc... or even understand white balance.. Just straight out of camera to Costco and call it a day or print on their HP home printer and that is very representative of the vast majority of consumers.

At 4x6 and 5x7 .. yes there is a difference but the average joe looking at their vacation pics or party pics etc. They wouldnt ever see the difference with the exception being low light indoor shots but even then.. unless it's an S95 etc. Still doubt it. The extra hassle and expense just doesn't make sense for P&S cameras in the sub $300 range. If a consumer is looking for a higher quality image than what an iPhone 4 provides.. then really they should be investing in minimally a S95 or u43 / APS type camera .. either rangefinder styled or dSLR styled.. Even superzoom P&S.. rarely do people take images on the very long end over 5x zoom so its just another marketing thing to get people to buy a camera that won't be used as built/designed..

19. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    The problem is cameras are dumb. Maybe if they made smartcameras that communicated with smartphones more people would want them.

To the average user the iPhone or Android (with decent image quality this can vary greatly) gives them much more, #1 being communication. What it doesn't do is optical zoom, varied ISO, control of F stop and shutter speed and interchangeable lenses, but the average casual picture taker doesn't really care.

I think all cameras need to make the communication leap to get to the next gen. By this I mean, built in wifi to transfer images and either bluetooth or wifi (wireless) control from smart device or computer with apps to control things like bracketing, multi exposure, time lapse, etc. Hopefully buttons and dials will remain to but in many instances they are already going away.

20. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    All of which does not make an iphone ".. simply stellar and easily rivals most sub $300 P&S." If you are taking pictures to post in FB. Yes, an iphone 4 is easily enough. So is a $10 digital camera from the drug store. So I think it's better to say for things many people use a camera for, posting on FB/web, a cell phone camera is fine. It doesn't make an iphone the rival of a $300 P&S camera. It simply isn't.