iPhone or Android?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tm3, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    This is the problem with the internet. Everyone has an opinion.

Trouble with forums is no one creates a thread that says "after the latest OS update, my device is working exactly as expected!"

2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Hacked versions of Android or patches thereon are some of the reasons Android has so many security exploits. There are people who jailbreak their iPhones to bypass Apple security. So, yes, there are sites where one can do that. Apple updates their software to discourage it. But, if you jailbreak, you accept the risk. Good luck. I don't need or want the snake oil they're selling. :)

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Not selling anything. All I was saying is if you get an Android device and the manufacturer and/or carrier decide not to push out the upgrade, you have options "if" you want them. I've rooted my Tablets, not my phones so far.

4. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Really don't recommend rooting or jailbreaking devices unless you understand the risks and really know what you're in for. I've personally never jailbroken my iPhone. Security risks and implications just don't outweigh the benefits.

I've worked in corporate environments where knowingly running a jailbroken or rooted device on their network (even just connected to wifi, doesn't have to have anything work related setup on it) is enough for an official warning.

Everyone looks at the capabilities it opens up their device to. No one ever looks at the security risks of doing so. By telling non tech friends to jailbreak or root their device, you're not doing them any favours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Completely agree, especially as it relates to corporate environments. I worked in IT for the better part of 35 years. You have to be aware of any requirements and restrictions, the last 10 in medical management stuff, regulations through the roof.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Angus Gibbins

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Agreed fully. It's not just medical, it's everywhere. Your arse has to be covered for 100% of scenarios. At the same job, it was corporate policy to not have any software in use without a valid support and maintenance agreement. The reason for this was because if a calculation was made or a deliverable was done with that software, and it wasn't under support and maintenance and then something happens later on (say a bridge collapses due to an incorrect calculation made with software 10 years earlier), then the business is liable for that incident and can't get support or even point the finger at the product vendor.

I'm of the firm belief it's for the end user's own good. The internet isn't the same place of unicorns and Adobe Flash based elf animations that it was 20 years ago. It's a scary, dark and dangerous place.

TL;DR, as IT professionals we don't make and follow restrictive security policies for the fun of it. Just trust us, when it comes to info sec it's for our own and your own good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    All I can tell you is the initial implementations of the HIPAA stuff in the US was NOT fun. (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996)

But yes it's not the same wide world it once was.

8. ScanSpeak

ScanSpeak New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2016
    Toronto
    I have an iPhone and iMac but my cloud and most of my software is through MS with Office 365 & Onedrive.

I'm not a big Google fan and use very few of their services.