iPhone or Android?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tm3, Dec 30, 2016.

1. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    I'm curious if there is a compelling reason from a photography standpoint to choose one over the other, such as iPhone 7+ over the Samsung S7.

RAW is now available on both, but it is not clear to me if one is superior to the other as far as ease of DNG file handling ie moving to the desktop computer to edit in Lightroom.

Both have available apps that give more manual control, but without using them it is hard to tell if any one is better implemented than the others.

One thing about the iPhone is it seems to have a lot more choices in dedicated accessories such as cases, accessory lenses, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    VSCO cam, one of my favorite photo apps, is a little more supported on iOS. I'm still a dedicated Android user, though, and that's not going to change. I'm looking forward to Nokia's Android releases next year, which may have pretty great cameras if they're able to use the same tech they did when they were Windows Phones.

3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I recently changed to iphone, and do not like the way it works. I like the Andriod software better, and you maybe able to get a phone with an extra card for storage.

But like you say iphone has far more after market accessories, but apart from a cover I do not use accessories.

Just do not buy the Android model that has the battery catching on fire problem.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'm just not an iOS fan, so when I want to use my phone for pictures (which is normally porting over the images from my Nikon/Olympus to the phone for post processing), it is 100% android. Right now I'm running a Nexus 6P and love it. My favorite phone app is Cameringo+, followed by the stock Google camera and VSCO cam.

I use Snapseed for 99% of the mobile post processing.

When I'm using just the phone, it is normally for the "happy snappy" pic to social media.

5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    One thing I forgot was the Olympus app works better on Android. With the iphone installation you sometimes have to go into settings\WiFi to be able to select the phone before you turn the camera on to be able to select the phone. On Android this happens automatically. Not sure if they fixed it on iphone 7, I only have a iphone 6 and it gives me problems with the app sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Thanks for the input. I will take a look at those apps. The removable storage card that Android has seems like a significant advantage. If either had a user replaceable battery that would be a deal maker for me.

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    LG top of the line phones still have removable batteries, like G5 and V20. It seems that Apple has really good processing engine based on what I see from other people . but if you're going to tinker with the images anyway, especially RAW, then it's not really that important I suppose.

8. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    I didn't know that about LG. Their color accuracy would be a no go for me, but thanks for pointing it out.

9. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    What ever you do, don't buy cheap Android phone. They get slow before you know and don't get support for future Android versions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I always went with Nexus phones, as they're going to stay the most up to date, have high end specs and best of all are pure Android without the gimmicks inserted by the phone manufacturers. However, I stick with what my carrier offers (at&t) because I like the trade-in program. I should probably buy a good phone outright and not pay any carrier fees, but I'm fickle with my phones and want upgrades.

Right now the Nexus 6P, Pixel XL and Note 5 are still great choices. I use the latter phone and it's a great phone, especially since I hid all the bloatware and set up the Google Now launcher to avoid Samsung's annoying interface gimmicks.

If they turn out, I've a feeling my next Android will be a Nokia.

11. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    I seem to be in the minority of asserting that no modern smartphone is compellingly different enough as a camera to warrant swaying your platform choice.

I'm an iPhone user, but the camera part of it is something I'm taking time to warm to. I use the phone for so many other things and it works so well for me that frankly, it wouldn't matter if an Android phone had a somewhat better or even quantifiably superior camera. Every time I need to fiddle with my mother-in-law's Samsung I go back to my iPhone feeling relieved and vindicated. The Android experience has effectively zero positives for me, so I'd never switch to it and disrupt my mostly graceful and harmonious relationship with my smartphone for the sake of a few pixels and nor would I expect a happy Android user to switch to an iPhone purely for the sake of the camera.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. This is mostly the way I feel. It's nice that my iPhone 6 has a camera. I actually use it a lot, but rarely for artistic photos.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That is the way that I feel as well. I am seriously in the Apple ecosystem but I would not pick a phone for photo usage. Nor would I look at the current hardware to make a decision as every year changes everything.

FWIW - I am liking the new LR app on iOS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm exactly the same way, except flipped ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jdcope

jdcope Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 21, 2015
    Oregon
    I dunno. I have used all types of phones and they all do pretty much anything I would want them to do. The camera is the only thing that really sets them apart.

16. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Only time I ever have this problem is when my iPhone's already connected to my home wifi. Every other time it works seemlessly.

I'm in the same camp here.

I think we're at a point where there's no better, and it's simply personal preference. With iOS devices being less reliant on iTunes and even proprietary services like YouTube Red and Apple Music being available on both platforms, it's even moreso.

Only time I've cared enough is two months ago, I broke both my arms and was unable to hold my camera until this week. The iPhone 7 Plus camera particularly the portrait mode still allowed me to enjoy less serious photography while I healed.

• Wow Wow x 2
  17. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    At the same time though, all that ever happens is manufacturers leapfrog each other every 6 months.

18. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    Putting it another way, our camera-cameras are constantly being leapfrogged by newer models, but most of us keep our camera bodies for years.

19. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Interesting comments. I have never owned an iPhone but had assumed that Android and OS were mature and similar enough that something specific like camera features should be the tipping point.

20. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    Don't mistake theoretical similarity for being the same. Just because on paper one product can do the same major things as another doesn't make the user experience anywhere close to same, and in the end, the user experience is what really makes or breaks the desire to use device or application.

Most tech writers agree that my iPhone's camera is good, but not the leader in the smartphone field. This doesn't give me pause for a moment, because being a phone isn't the second, third, or even fourth thing on my phone's list of duties. How it does everything else is much more important. A Galaxy S6 might have a slightly better camera, but that wouldn't even begin to compensate me for losing the iOS experience that I'm very comfortable with.

• Agree Agree x 5