iPhone app to control OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Today looking for new OMD groups on Flickr to join, i found this picture of this dude having an iPhone synched with its OMD having an app to control de camera?!?!!? anyone knows how it works or what is it for?

Olympus E-P3 Pen m43 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    It might just be video out, although the fact that it's hooked up to the headphone jack makes me wonder if it's just a farce.

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
  4. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    That's not the triggertrap but a higher priced version. The trigger trap mobile dongle costs 10 and is universal as long as you have the appropriate $10 cable that other one costs like $55 for the cable.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    interesting....do you think its worth having something like that?.

7. aikidoka

aikidoka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Montreal
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    This is the one for PEN's and E-M5

CL-UC1 Camera Cable
    $9.99
    The CL-UC1 camera cable is used on some Olympus cameras.

Please check our camera compatibility list very carefully some Olympus cameras that have an UC-1 socket, are not actually remote controllable via this socket. Yeah, it's extremely confusing, but that's Olympus for you...

REMEMBER: You need both this cable and a Triggertrap Mobile dongle in order to use this cable with Triggertrap Mobile.

$9.99 Triggertrap Mobile Dongle
    $9.99 Triggertrap CL-UC1 Cable
    Click "Add to Cart" below to buy direct from Triggertrap (shipped from Hong Kong), or find a distributor near you.

9. aikidoka

aikidoka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Montreal
    i just checked the iOS app itself is another 9.99$ , so total is 30$ provided you have the smartphone

10. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I own Triggertrap and the dongle and use it often. Works great! This photo however is of an iphone with the Super Control Panel displayed. Looking closely at the full res photo the SCP is not photoshopped onto the iPhone but it could be a photo of the screen then displayed on the iPhone to simulate what it would be like.

Also of note its a iPhone 3 which I don't believe would be powerful enough to control the OMD.

I'm calling it a fake.

11. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    I dont think that is an iphone 3g, im pretty sure its a 4, you can tell from the up and down volume buttons and silient switch.

Very interesting though.

12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The problem is it puts your ios device at risk of loss/theft..personally I'd rather have a cheap wireless remote that is easy to replace.

13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    indeed!. :thumbup:

14. noone

noone New to Mu-43

May 29, 2012
    The date of the picture doesn't match up the date on the screen

I'm leaning towards fake

• Like Like x 1
  15. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Upon closer inspection you are right. It's a 4 with a case.

16. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I don't understand how it would put the ios device at any more risk of theft then normal. Could you explain please?

17. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Huh?

While I know nothing about the remote interface that the OMD implements, it can't be so complicated that it requires significant processing.

We're talking about controlling camera settings and releasing the shutter, right?

Why wouldn't the iPhone 3, which features ~400mhz clock and 256mb of RAM, be able to do that?

You can control the OMD with a calculator ...

• Like Like x 1
  18. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I came across this the other day and thought it was pretty cool - skip to 6:40.
    Using the iphone as a liveview for the camera. Oh is for samsung camera though. It will be nice if we have these capabilities too. I always wonder why cameras don't have gps equipped.

The Camera Store - TV - YouTube

19. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Saw that too. It's very cool and something I hope we see in more cameras soon.

20. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Forget the iPhone, I want my EVF projected into a Google Glass. (What's the plural for Google Glass?) :)

• Like Like x 1