1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

iPhone 5 Launch Event

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by nylife, Sep 21, 2012.

1. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    People are crazy, indeed. Gotta hand it to Apple for their marketing strategy but also have to wonder what would make people camp out to get a phone. :confused:

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It's a cultural phenomenon. I'm glad we have such a great company (the best tech company ever?) right here in California. Funny thing, Apple actually seems to be doing better w/o Steve...News sites report iPhone 5 will become the most successful consumer electronic product launch in history. Just to think that all of this is happening during the most significant economic downturn since the Great Depression. Pretty groundbreaking stuff. What Apple has is both great marketing and great product. Most companies just have one but not the other.

4. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Apple recently revealed in a lawsuit against Samsung that they spent close to ~$465 million in advertising. Dont quote me on it because I read this 2 weeks ago but it is pretty close to this. Apple make great yet simple product. The key is to control everything and they only let out what works.

5. MilkshakeFiend

MilkshakeFiend Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2012
    Salford, Manchester
    Myles
    If only we could get the same turnout at voting time..!

Here's a thought: Get Apple to rebrand democracy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's a party and people are excited aspect the whole event. They also get a nice party favor, i.e., an iPhone. When you think about it, why do we get excited on any holiday?

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Sad.

Seriously..camping to line up for the privilege of handing 700$ or so for a purchasing their mildly upgraded product?

I've been sorely tempted to switch to the iphone 5 next upgrade cycle, but things like this really turn me off.

8. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    we get excited on holidays to receive presents, but not to buy them LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. stephography

stephography Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Stephan
    A couple years ago I fell to the hype of falling in line for a piece of tech. Apple was smart, and the iPhone 4 was on the bleeding edge of mixing design + technology in one small, beautiful package. If I recall correctly, I waited about 12 hours to pick up the phone at the Cerritos Apple. It was satisfying albeit tiring, and it was great to meet a couple of new people interested in the same thing.

After experiencing it once, I figured I didn't need to do it again and I'm glad I didn't. The lines today were CRAZY LONG. A week ago I pre-ordered two from Best Buy and had them at 9AM this morning. No lines. Probably the best way to do it, and I even had a chance to work and earn some $$$ last night (instead of idly waiting in line for the store to open). It felt good not having to deal with wondering if you're even going to be able to pick up a phone once you get to the front because stock wasn't counted correctly!

Anybody else pick one up today?

10. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    Funny part is a lot of my co-workers reported, that they were able to simply pick it up from ATT, Verizon, Sprint store with out so much as a line

11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Weird. I preordered mine from a nearby small town AT&T store in person on the morning of the first day and have not gotten a notice of it shipping to me yet. No biggy really. I have a phone that works fine but there's no rime or reason to how Apple does this. :rolleyes:

12. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Mine only cost $200.As more things move to cloud storage,on board hard drive space isn't needed as much.Also,smart phone design is maturing,and we become more used to them,upgrades are not going to wow us as much.
    The 5 is improved in many ways.The camera has gone from iso 800 max to 3200.If I was in my twenties again, I just might want to spend a night in line for my new phone.Looks like a party.

13. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Really enjoyed the Samsung commercial that pokes fun at the long lines of Apple faithful camping out for days... ;)