iPhone 4S - color me impressed

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by starlabs, Oct 5, 2011.

1. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Take a look at the gallery photos (scroll to bottom). I'd say it's pretty impressive.

Apple - iPhone 4S - Shoot amazing photos with the 8MP camera.

Hopefully they'll give people access to RAW files in the future (iPhone 5 maybe? :rofl: )

Makes me kinda wish I hadn't switched to WP7. Luckily I have my E-P3 for my shutter therapy. :thumbup:
  2. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Thanks for the post. The images are amazing. (Call me a cynic but I downloaded a few of them and checked the EXIF data.)

Also I've been seeing a lot of friends' iPhone 3 / 4 images recently and have to say that they are good. Despite being an Android junkie I'm sorely tempted by the new 4S except that I can't use it to view my daughter's favourite Flash sites with her.

Oh, and the price. In the UK, TCO for an iPhone over three years or even 12 months is seriously stupid compared to a low - mid range Android handset.

But those example images.....
  3. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Now.. if only m43 can get an equal sensor performance as the iphone 4s.
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    My 3gs is falling apart (the volume rocker fell off months ago) so I've just been waiting for the new one. The camera wasn't part of my thinking, but it looks pretty nice as a backup camera that I'll have with me pretty much all the time. I'll get one asap. And with a 64gb option, I'll finally be able to have all of my music available on one device. With the 32 gig, I always had to have a subset in an iphone playlist. 64 will more than cover me with plenty of capacity left over for the occasional video, photos, etc. I'm psyched.

5. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I have the regular 4. Like it. I advise putting a rubber case with a back on these and the new phones even though you won't need it for the antennae issue any longer. The 'glass on both sides' idea was stupid from the get-go. :smile:
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Oh hanzo. What have u done??? Lol
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

I was impressed also... how often do they talk about aperture size when promoting a new smartphone's camera?!

It will be interesting to see if the new processor helps with camera operation speed when running apps like Hipstamatic.
  8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I am keeping my iphone 4. I was hoping for larger screen cause I do a lot of reading and photo viewing on it. I was quite surprised there are so few changes. Still, 4S camera won't come close to my Canon S90 in low light. For casual snapshots = mms, facebook uploads, iphone 4 camera is already adequate.
    But hopefully, 4S will finally kill off P&S mass market forcing companies to focus on large sensors cameras instead of peanuts.
    If only Apple would introduce interchangeable lens camera system, that would change everything.
  9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Compared to my BB Bold, the iPhone's camera is in another league all together and that was the 4 not 4s. It's pretty amazing with the iPhone's camera is capable of.

I'd like to see dpreview do a head to head comparison of an iPhone 4 vs. S95 and also some real world head to head comparison on Auto mode in varying conditions. I think many would be surprised how good the iPhone camera really is.
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I just wonder if they made the controls easier than with the 4. I find using the 4 takes too long, and I miss the shot. (turn it on, slide the unlock bar, navigate to where the camera icon is, open camera icon (hope you have it set up the way you want it -- stills vs. video, HDR or not, Flash or not), aim and touch the screen (with a bit of shutter lag).

This has been unwieldy for me :(
  11. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Was going to skip the whole Iphone 4 generation altogether, but this gives me a reason to retire my Samsung P&S(equipped with phone features). Must cop now.
  12. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Jack of all trades, master of none? Probably true for smartphones, but they and tablets have become the primary computing devices for most people (laptop sales are even declining). I will keep my PC and laptop around, thank you very much, but it is nice to have an ultra-portable device that can do a lot of things somewhat proficiently. There are a lot of times when I do no carry even my little CSC, but I almost always have my Android phone with me.

I remember there was an app that allowed you to use one of the volume buttons on the side as a shutter release. You would still have the unlock screen process, etc. as you mentioned, though.
  13. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's what I love about my Dell Streak. Dedicated shutter button. If I need to use it as a camera, I can use it just like a camera. It'll even pre autofocus if I half depress the shutter button.
  14. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    My iphone4 has been unprotected for over a year, i'm not all that careful with it and keep it in my front pants pocket most of the time. The Corning Gorilla Glass is some pretty tough stuff.

Apparently you can now launch the camera directly from the locked home screen, and use the "volume up" button as a shutter button. I think these improvements will come to the iphone 4 too with iOS5
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    That would be huge
  16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Hm.... I've been running iOS 5 for a few months now. I've never noticed a way to launch the camera app from the locked home screen. Hadn't heard about the "volume up" button. Hold on, let me go try it........

Wow. You're right. The "volume up" button does work as a shutter. I did check again and you can launch the camera app from the locked home screen. You have to do the double tap on the home button to bring up the ipod music control and there's a little camera icon there. It's not any faster than just swiping and tapping the camera app if your camera app is handy and your phone doesn't have a lock code. It is more convenient if you have a lot of apps and have to hunt for the camera app.
  17. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Pixel peep? LOL:smile:

18. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow, shallow DoF the iPhone style. Can you do macro with it? Looks surprisingly sharp. You can't deny the fun factor shooting with iphone.
  19. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    For a phone that has a tiny lens and sensor that pic is very, very good.

I'm definitely pre-ordering this phone.
  20. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Yes, which is why I was hoping they would change it.

The Samsung Galaxy S II has the same backlit sensor. I don't know if it has the same fast aperture on the lens, but it takes some pretty incredible photos too.