Iphone 4.01 UPDATE!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Allright, there is a software update for the Iphoneys.
I did my 3G this afternoon and now I don't have to kill anyone or break the phone. It's working without freezing or double loading pages etc....
imagine that......
You should be able to get yours from Itunes... it's about a 30 minute process.....

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
Amin,

Interesting read if you haven't seen this already. I use to be of the segment that would have jumped in a second to VZM if they got the iPhone. Things have gotten much better in my home area with AT&T so I'll probably stay put one way or the other. I am up in your neck of the woods for vacation on the Northshore, and I do think VZM coverage is better here. I rarely have dropped calls back home in DC, but just today had two out of six calls I made drop-off. I suppose as always, the most important factor is to choose your carrier first and phone second. However, it would be nice in the US if we had a choice with the iPhone. Hopefully, the Bloomberg rumor of VZM getting it in January might come true so at least the choice would exist.

Even Without iPhone, Verizon Is Gaining on AT&T - DealBook Blog - NYTimes.com

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
John, thanks for the article - very interesting. I do hope the iPhone comes to Verizon, because choice and competition can only help. On the other hand, the iPhone being slow to come to Verizon has helped launch the Android platform.

I've been lucky to always live and work in an area with excellent AT&T and Verizon coverage. I actually switched from AT&T to Verizon for the phone selection, tempted by the novelty and features of Android. To me, iPhone and Android are both really great now. If forced to choose based on network coverage, I could be very happy with either one.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
AT&T covers me well, no complaints other than the cost.
The update fixed the 3G's sluggishness and having to refresh pages all the time.
It's not perfect but getting better.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
For all you who may have been having problems, stay tuned: Apple To Address iPhone Troubles On Friday : NPR
Apple Inc. will hold a press conference on Friday to discuss the latest iPhone model amid complaints about its antenna and Consumer Reports magazine's refusal to endorse it until the problems get fixed.

Apple would not provide details on the nature of the event at the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., other than to say it will involve the iPhone 4...

...One of those fixes could be offering the $30 iPhone rim covers, which apparently stop the problem, for free.

While complaints about the iPhone 4 have been driving headlines, not everyone has had such problems. Some people say they can't replicate the so-called "death grip" — and have even seen reception improve in San Francisco and other big cities where previous iPhones stuttered.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I updated my 3G to iOS4 and now it is so slow it is very difficult to use!! Not fair!:mad:

Make sure after the new update, 4.0.1, that you turn off the phone and restart it.
Maybe even do it a few times....my phone was in really bad shape and now with the update, it's just in bad shape.....

But then again, my 3G never drops calls no MATTER HOW I HOLD IT....

lhockings

New to Mu-43
Make sure after the new update, 4.0.1, that you turn off the phone and restart it.
Maybe even do it a few times....my phone was in really bad shape and now with the update, it's just in bad shape.....

But then again, my 3G never drops calls no MATTER HOW I HOLD IT....

i'll give it a go, don't think its been switched off since the udpate!

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just got a Droid 2 from Verizon...

AT&T service in this area (Western NC) is no good and Verizon is the best rated.

Wanted a reasonable camera and a physical keyboard so although the Droid X is supposed to have a better camera, I went with the Droid 2 and have been pleasantly surprised with image quality.

Yesterday I was shooting a rally and my Canon 7D refused to change apertures. I had to take pictures and pulled out the Droid.

Here's a link to a picture I was very happy with. I'm not embedding it because it's political:
All sizes | Emergency Droid 2 Picture | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

By the way, the problem with the 7D was related to lens attachment, because I decided to remove and replace the lens and the problem went away.

Isabel

I keep hearing rumors about a Verizon iPhoney, but they just turn out to be phoney :rolleyes:.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
John, thanks for the article - very interesting. I do hope the iPhone comes to Verizon, because choice and competition can only help. On the other hand, the iPhone being slow to come to Verizon has helped launch the Android platform.

you won't see an iphone any time soon on VZW. ATT and Apple keep extending their arrangement to keep the iphone exclusively on ATT and VZW is in with Google for the long haul.

With better and better Android handsets coming out there really is no reason for VZW to have the iPhone. They don't need it.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
you won't see an iphone any time soon on VZW. ATT and Apple keep extending their arrangement to keep the iphone exclusively on ATT and VZW is in with Google for the long haul.

What's your source on the second sentence?

In the original announcement for the iPhone (January 2007), it was announced that it was a five-year agreement.

Apple did approach Verizon, but Verizon rejected the deal.

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
oh, they need it...they just won't admit it.....

Why would you say that VZW needs the iPhone? They are the largest cell phone carrier in the US - approaching 100 million subscribers. Android, while it still does not have the market share of iOS gains momentum every quarter and the majority of android handsets using the internet is from VZW's Droid line.

Verizon is doing just fine without the iPhone. They could have had in in 1997 but did now want to accept Apple's conditions.

If they do eventually end up making a deal with Apple it probably won't be untill they roll out their 4g service which I believe will be 2012.

Latest threads

Top Bottom